Loud sound question?

So, I am playing some games with heavy artillery bombardments.  The sound of the impact is proportional to how close the camera is.  When the camera is close, it is deafening.

I have tried WIN10's Equalize option, but it tends to make softer sounds louder and the loud sounds stay loud.

I need a peak noise limiter:  either sound card, software solution, or speaker solution.  Are there any game cards with such a feature?  I only have ASUS Realtek MOBO sound at the moment, but I thought this was a standard feature of game cards.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Beware of using certain sound mods. Quite a number are thrown together haphazardly, with blown up bass, digital clipping levels and generally too loud. Should be fine with stock sounds though. I made myself some sound mods that have bass and highend cut, as well as applying some headroom to overall loudness. Could be some limiter or EQ´ing plugins are available at i.e KVR serving the wanted purpose. Haven´t checked yet, but they have usefull stuff usually. https://www.kvraudio.com/