How To Use Half Track Offensively

That does make sense.

In regards to the Hanomag, I've found that the gunner is fairly safe when peaking out behind a crest of a hill. So, he can pew pew his MGs behind the shield -- virtually impervious to small arms fire. However, when the Hanomag is going downhill, the crew (gunner especially) very vulnerable to potshots.

In general:

US halftracks are horribly vulnerable, and not good as a fighting position. They're fine if you can guarantee fire superiority, but that inherently limits the situations where this can be used.

German halftracks have their gun shield, which can be quite effective. I do not unbutton these. Instead I allow the gunner to pop up and down as appropriate, minimising their exposure. The intention here is to fight from distance (500-1000m) and firmly to the front, limiting the possible angles of incoming fire to a few degrees. Any crossing fire will kill the gunner quickly.

Elevation and ridge crests certainly help. The halftrack is a supporting arm, and a method of getting an HMG into a supporting position quickly, to cover a move. It's not a primary combat element.

3 hours ago, domfluff said:

US halftracks are horribly vulnerable, and not good as a fighting position. They're fine if you can guarantee fire superiority, but that inherently limits the situations where this can be used.

That is true. And that is why it is so much fun to see them blazing away with both guns shielded by the hedge.