A "What would the tank do?" question.

I was just reading andother topic about target priority and I was wonder in the current version 1.04 what would a tank do in the following situation.

"Tank A spots an AT team that is within 50m and has just fired at them. Tank turns to open fire on the AT team. 5 seconds later a enemy tank(Tank B) appears at, say 750 meters, and proceedes to line up a shot on Tank A. Does Tank A:

1. Continue to fire on bazooka team?

2. Keep hull facing towards bazzoka team and turn turret to engage Tank b?

3. Turn hull facing towards enemy tank and keep firing at bazzoka team with turret?

4. Disengage AT team and engage enemy tank?

I am not sure if anyone can really answer this question considering we may not know what goes into factoring threat assesment.

But if the threat assesment is simple such as (from low to highest) AT Team, AT gun, Tank or TD. Or does it actually figure in range to target, LOS of target, possible kill % on self from target, etc...

Just curious....

Thanks,

Jeff

Since the AI uses fuzzy logic all your answers are valid one. Many more factors are to be taken into account to determine what will be the *most probable* behavior.

Mind I am using probable since the beauty of CM is that it is not really 100% deterministic. I guess Steve and Charles must have put in it a random numbers generator, and I hope a good one ;)

6. Pop smoke and back out of the line of fire.

I think a lot of it would depend on crew quality, type of friendly tank, type of enemy tank. As Seahawk said, the fuzzy logic makes it impossible to predict behavior correctly EVERY time, but run a test for this enough times and you might get an average result.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

6. Pop smoke and back out of the line of fire.

I think a lot of it would depend on crew quality, type of friendly tank, type of enemy tank. As Seahawk said, the fuzzy logic makes it impossible to predict behavior correctly EVERY time, but run a test for this enough times and you might get an average result.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AND...

and thats what is so great about CM..

I love the fuzzy logic, and I like the Full fog of war (I wish there was more) and I like the unpredictability of these kinds of random events.

This could be called (in some cases) "fly be the seat of your pants" tank combat because when you sit down to play you can never really be sure want you will face, where it will come from or exactly how your units will respond to a certain threat.

And this is one of the BEST features of CMBO.

And I again I think more Fog of War would make the game even more fun!

Go Charles!

smile.gif

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Remember that no dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saying that CM is "not deterministic" is a pretty serious understatement. I'm not complaining about this, but one of the first things I tried after I got hooked on CM (back in the demo daze) was save a turn, then re-load it and run it over and over. It came out differently every time, and probably 50% of the time, DRAMATICALLY differently.

If you have any experience with CM at all, you can probably surmise that I lucked out and chose a particularly action-packed turn to run this little test on -- I tried it again a few days ago after reading this, and on most setups it came out roughly the same.

But I can verify from "experimental evidence" that CM will absolutely not respond the same way twice.

This is what we in the business refer to as "A Good Thing". smile.gif