G3/G4? Wanna speed boost? Read this.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fatmac:

Download the powerlogix g3/g4 cache profiler from www.powerlogix.com. Install it and turn OFF write-thru.

My machine (g4/400) was way faster with combat mission. It made a world of difference. Calculation times dropped. It seemed *almost* as fast as my athlon 700 in CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

Thanks for the info

I would be very happy to read more about this software and what it does and why it makes my Mac faster. I'm a Mac Tech Geek and feel sort of not up to date, having never hheard of this before.

Anyone else know what this does and how and why it makes the cpu faster?

Thanks

-tom w

Ripped from www.xlr8yourmac.com:

Copy-Back (default) vs Write-Through Cache Modes: </P>

I'm not sure about the Apple G4 systems, but the previous G3 systems used 'Write-Through' cache modes vs. the faster 'Copy-Back' mode supported by some cache types. 'Copy-back' cache mode is faster as writes are written to the backside cache (and later copied back to RAM if data has been changed). Write-through mode means that each CPU write is written directly to much slower main system RAM. In my tests last year with a utility that would toggle these modes on a B&W G3s, I saw little real world gain from Copy-Back mode. Perhaps with the 100MHz memory bus speeds it's less of a performance issue than with older Macs with much slower memory bus speeds.

However, I found that it makes a huge difference in CM: Minutes off compute time on large maps.