How many Jarheads here?

Which unit was involved in the live fire accident at the Big Island's Training Area (Poku- / Moku- something or other) ?

I remember it being a night-time live fire exercise where a mortar platoon accidentally dropped mortar rounds on the grunts in their foxholes. A mix up in the coordinates as I recall. One or two Marines died and 3 or 4 others were wounded.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Which unit was involved in the live fire accident at the Big Island's Training Area (Poku- / Moku- something or other) ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrm. Didn't hear about that one in specific, but I remember one around early '90 in which 60mm's from (I think) 3/3 dropped rounds on an 81's section. Killed the Gunny, if I remember, correctly.

Seems that a lot of bad juju went down at PTA. (I think it was Pohakalua, but not boned up on my Hawai'ian). smile.gif You'd expect more accidents would've occured out on Kahoolawe, where the majority of the live-fire training took place, or at Schofield Barracks' ranges, where the range control was...well... non-existent. We did get an extremely short round at the SB range, once. Powder bags didn't detonate, as the A-gunner apparently let them get wet (this was the old 374 series rounds, before the "sealed donut" charges of the 800 series), and only the core powder detonated. The tube was cranked way up to about 1300mil elevation or more, and it was pretty much a slow-motion, watch-the-birdie sort of show. Never seen so many jarheads dive into muddy gunpits so fast in my life. biggrin.gif

Gotta throw in with SGT Morgue,,,anyone ever run across one wild insane marine named Rick Venola?

Tom Rogers: Enlisted in 77 made SSG in 82, back in the bad old VOLAR days,,,was with A Troop, 6th Cavalry and HHT 2nd Sdn, 2 ACR back then.

Recieved my lobotomy along with my gold bar in 84. Served with HHT and A Troop, 2nd Sqdn, 1st Cavalry. Retired as a Captain in 98.

Again to echo the good Sgt as all good officers must learn to do,,,Be proud marines.