So tempting...

This is one of my topics for my WWII history class:

66. Board and CD-rom World War Two games: their assumptions and their

politics.

I so wanted to this at first but decided that since I only played PC games and only actually own one(guess which), that it would be more of a pain than a joy.

Instead:

77. Anti-tank weapons compared.

expect a request for sources of info in the near future all you experts, you...=)

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I can field this one. So maybe you should rethink your topic choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

66. Board and CD-rom World War Two games: their assumptions and their

politics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An assumption of WWII computer games is that you can sneak into Castle Wolfenstein, aka Hitlers bunker, find a uniform to wear, and then show guards your colored passcard for different floors of the castle when they said "Halt, Komenzie, Actung", and then "Heil" once they looked at your card(but they'd say it in a throaty, evil German accent that came out of a TV speaker).

After doing all this, and gunning down a few hapless guards here and there, you could put a bomb in Hitlers bunker, and then watch as he addressed some flunkies just before he and they blew up.

Hmm, interesting. Popular sociological slant on the modern historical perspective. You could have wrote volumns on the politics. For every stated fact, there is a counter fact, and for every perceived truth, there is a impassioned counter response. Viciously fought at times, yet steadily over the last few decades forming a ever increasing population of arm chair turned mouse generals. Ninetynine point nine percent of which were born after the fact. Kind of wish I had that class.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

thanks for the info and comments! So quick too, just pop the message out and 20 minutes later, already there are post!

a great class, we even get to distribute how our individual grades are weighted(35% final, x% essay, Y% section/recitation)

plus the prof really is interested in how WWII is shown in films. he showcases film almost every week and his topics included a bunch of films.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I had a class in college called "War in Film." (God, I loved freshman year.)

We saw about 10 films and wrote short essays about each one. For our final we had to see a film that was not shown in class and write a paper on it. I chose Kelly's Heroes. The kids teaching the class (they were sophomores) hadn't heard of it. So who was teaching whom? smile.gif

Pham911 wrote:

After doing all this, and gunning down a few hapless guards here and there, you could put a bomb in Hitlers bunker, and then watch as he addressed some flunkies just before he and they blew up.

And if you get hungry or thirsty when saving the world, you can always find sauerkraut and schnapps in the bunker closets.

- Tommi