Wild Bill Wilder in PC Gamer magazine

If you look at Trotters review of CM, you will note that he stated there being no multiplay. I wrote him an E-mail regarding this and a couple other complaints regarding the CM review...he explained it to me, but I was kinda hoping he would sorta state his mistakes in his column....keep from people not buying CM thinking it's single player only....I still like him though...one of the best left on the staff after Whitta and that Dean guy left....

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

What I found surprising was that on the cover of the mag, it says "The Worlds Best Wargamer vs Steel Panthers" (or something like that). It's their mag, so they can say anything they want.... smile.gif

The article inside is a AAR of a Trotter vs Computer scenario that Wild Bill created.

See ya

------------------

"The mass of the [Red] army stationed in Western Russia is to be destroyed in bold operations involving deep penetrations by armored spearheads, and the withdrawal of elements capable of combat into the extensive Russian land spaces is to be prevented.

By means of rapid pursuit a line is then to be reached from beyond which the Russian air force will no longer be capable of attacking the German home territories."

- - - Directive 21 "Fall Barbarossa"

I subscribe to PC Gamer. They favor the games on store shelves that place ads with them. Trotter is good, but he serves his master (paycheck).

Congrats to Wild Bill as a guy who does it best and does it for love. Money can't buy me love, and love sure don't attract money. But it sure is best.

------------------

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can be used against you....

If they pander to companies who place ads to them, then why the good review of CM or any of the others (recent HPS games come to mind). I don't have the issue near at hand, but it seems like their review of CM was pretty much right on the money, overall (don't quote--I better dig that issue up before the flak starts flyin' my direction smile.gif

shags

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brethon:

If you look at Trotters review of CM, you will note that he stated there being no multiplay. I wrote him an E-mail regarding this and a couple other complaints regarding the CM review...he explained it to me, but I was kinda hoping he would sorta state his mistakes in his column....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the reviews say CM has PBEM,& no Multiplayer? or do the reviews not even mention PBEM & just say CM has no MP?.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-06-2000).]

Under "Multiplayer Options" it says "None".

I bet if Trotter played the game on Hi-Res on 1.05, and with some mods from Tiger and the other fine mod creators, he would have given CM at least 94%. If you just look at the screenshots in the mag (PC Gamer- Sept. 2000) they look like crap compared to the game's real potential.

------------------

Ah scheist.

I believe the magazines stick with the product, as it ships, not with patches and mods and such. Seems like a good policy to me, and compared to a lot of what's out there, the graphics in CM are toward the middle of the scale.

Damn, I sound like a spokesman for PC Gamer smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawyer:

I subscribe to PC Gamer. They favor the games on store shelves that place ads with them. Trotter is good, but he serves his master (paycheck).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trotter lost all his credibility with me during the Ascendancy situation. I still enjoy his writing, I just don't trust his recommendation (or lack thereof) of particular products.

[This message has been edited by Supertanker (edited 09-07-2000).]