best winter allied uniform mod?

I've installed the excellent winterised german 'snowsuit' mod by Fernando J. Carrera Buil, and I would like to have my allied troops looking just as errr...'winterised'! can anyone tell me a comparable mod for the allies and where I can get it?

cheers.

Dan

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the Allies had official winter camo uniforms. I seem to remember reading accounts somewhere (Eisenhower's Lieutenants? Citizen Soldiers?) of soldiers in the Huertgen Forest and Ardennes areas simply raiding farmhouses for white sheets to throw over their uniforms.

Obviously this could be represented in a mod, but I can't picture it looking quite right.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I could be wrong on this,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chup-a-Chup, you are.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but I don't think the Allies had official winter camo uniforms.....blather, blather quotes solely American sources<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The American part of the 'allies' might not have the planning wherewithall to contemplate the war extending into winter 1944 but the other bits did. In fact I'm looking at a picture right now of a British infantryman in a snow suit rounding up some German prisoners (not in snow suits), Canadian units had them too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

The American part of the 'allies' might not have the planning wherewithall to contemplate the war extending into winter 1944 but the other bits did. In fact I'm looking at a picture right now of a British infantryman in a snow suit rounding up some German prisoners (not in snow suits), Canadian units had them too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the US part of the Allies DID have the wherewithall to come up with "snow suits" for US troops also. I've seen several pictures of US 7rd Armored Division's infantry using them in Jan '45 during the Bulge-reduction counterattack. Other pictures exist showing snow camo for the US 5th Division and some engineer units, although those on the 5th Division may only have been showing white-sheet knock-outs.

US stock olive-drab winter clothing & overcoats appear to have been far more prolific, at least in the Bulge battle. Considering Bradley's decision in the early fall of '44 to "bump down" winter clothing in resupply priority, it was probably enough for troops just to have this during the Bulge.

Actually, I think it might be hard to prove that any West Front nationality equipped the majority of its troops with snow suits in the '44-'45 winter. Photographic evidence suggests that even most of the German troops reserved for the Bulge attack had to go without also.

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 11-23-2000).]

No problem Tom, but it will be next week before I get a chance.

Spook,

Maybe you should read what I wrote before you go off half-cocked. Whether they designed and manufactured any is a moot point if they didn't supply them. I am sure you are right to say they were not supplied on a large scale in any NWE army, even so it is quite ok to mod them if people want to since they were used.

The US had a pretty woeful regard in supplying their guys with suitable clothing full stop. The appalling level of trenchfoot among US infantry can only be ascribed to the abysmal footwear they were issued with. Wearing a restrictive greatcoat in combat is probably not conducive to the survival of the wearer either. I understand that proper combat jackets were not widely issued to frontline US units until very late '44 though no doubt the rear echelons were well equipped with them (and the new boots) well before that smile.gif

From the responses I guess that there isn't really a allied winterized uniform mod available of comparable quality to the German mods. Actually I lean towards the historically accurate 'look' for CM so maybe my allied troops should continue to stand out like sore thumbs on the battlefield!! I also seem to remember seeing photographs of US troops in the Ardennes wearing winter camo. but the captions accompanying the photographs "Sgt P. Lamowski from New Jersey reading mail from home during lull in fighting" suggests a posed propaganda style shot so the troops would 'obviously' be superbly equipped for the weather conditions.

-Dan

Simon:

Re-read your own words in the first sentence of the your paragraph that I lifted as a quote. I can just as easily read that in turn as half-cocked, on face value, when you were arbitrarily describing "the American bit of the Allies" regarding winter clothing.

Recall that this wasn't at first about WINTER clothing or effectiveness of same. It was about "snowsuits", and not all WW2 snowsuits translated into effective winter clothing instead of just being "camo" frocks. Your counterpost to Chup was that UK units did have some "snowsuits"--and you made no mention as the availability or effectiveness of UK winter clothing beyond the snowsuits (or if these UK snowsuits were also "winterized"). My own post to you is that the US had "snowsuits" also, though likely on a very limited basis.

Now to US winter clothing---sure, you can make a good case about the slowness in how that got to US combat units and the large number of trenchfoot cases from the fall of '44 onwards (sometimes double that of their German opponents in Patton's 3rd Army sector). My citing of Bradley's choice to "put off" winter clothing supply adds to your point. Rather, my own point was that US combat units, in the Bulge battle, would've been lucky just to have some form of winter clothing rather than so much as snowsuits, which I thought to have stated clearly earlier.

Do we have a meeting of the minds now, sir? wink.gif

ATTENTION...ATTENTION...ATTENTION!!!

I have a Hi-Res Winter Allied Uniform Mod comparable to the German uniforms in the MDMP-2. I've emailed it out to a few people when I first completed it. It will be available on my site when it's published.

They may not be totally historical, but they do prevent the infantry from sticking out like sore thumbs though.

NOTE: These are different than the set thzt is available on CMHQ. I totally redid these leaving in the details of the tunics. They look pretty good, IMHO.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

I have a Hi-Res Winter Allied Uniform Mod comparable to the German uniforms in the MDMP-2. I've emailed it out to a few people when I first completed it. It will be available on my site when it's published.

They may not be totally historical, but they do prevent the infantry from sticking out like sore thumbs though.

NOTE: These are different than the set thzt is available on CMHQ. I totally redid these leaving in the details of the tunics. They look pretty good, IMHO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And when will your site be up year 2039? Just joking!

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC ;)

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Bord

BHQS bord

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you email them to me too. Plleeeezzzeee Maxi. Thanks.

Originally posted by Maximus:

I have a Hi-Res Winter Allied Uniform Mod comparable to the German uniforms in the MDMP-2...

Any chance of e-mailing me the mod Maximus? Would be appreciated.

cheers,

Dan