The question is...

I dont think it really interests me considering CMs obvious superior gameplay. Turn based games are dinosaurs. Theres just too many abstractions and concessions that kill realism.

I guess I would be interested in seeing the demo for nostalgic reasons.

Lewis

I also saw this last night. I wondered how long it would be before the news travelled.

After reading the article(2), I think its not going to be a serious study of squad leader. Example, they say that if a soldier gets a dear john letter from home, that will affect your game.

The game will also be using a modified version of the Soldiers at war engine. It could be a fun little game, or they can just blow it like they did with soldiers at war.

Considering it's coming from hasbro, expect an action game. For that it might be amusing. I'd wait for the reviews. I just hope it's not a rehash of SOW. The game system is different than CM and so is the scope of the game so it's not really competion. Actually, it might bring newbies into the genre.

Guest tom w

I have only one opinion on this

It could be a very well done game, but I bet

they will only release it for the PC!

I KNOW I can play, what will very likely

be, a far superior game, next month

on my MAC! (G3 Power book)

And thats good enough for me.

Thanks again to BTS for offering

a MAC version, Apple computer users

the world over thank you for including

us on the Demo and the Gold Master!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

do we trust Hasbro to do it right?

http://headline.gamespot.com/news/00_04/25_pc_zdnetsquad/index.html

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to be a pessimist. But I'm sure they will ruin the game. Especially if they try to turn it into a "Soldiers at War" type of game and/or base it on that engine. Hope I'm proven wrong. Of course like someone said above, I'll probably be so busy playing CM I won't care.

Mike D

aka Mikester

PS: The screenshots they have over on that link sure don't look like they are going to do justice to the SL heritage.

I think everone is missing the point..

This game isn't an ASL port or anything similar. The best advice to anyone following it is for them to simply forget about the name and take the game based on what those who are developing it say it will be.

They are talking about a Role-Playing squad-level turn-based tactical combat game along the lines of Chaos Gate. If the AI is good then I'm quite sure that the game could be some fun.

Criticising it for not being ASL is a bit rich IMO since it clearly isn't being made as a port. it is just regrettable that marketers have tagged a name onto the game which is bound to make it catch lots of flak from old ASL fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASL tag faded into the background prior to release once its work is done..> What work is that? Simple.. It is the garnering of publicity.

We're talking about this game because of the innapropriate tag. I'd say that the ASL tag has more than done its job and that whichever marketeer came up with it is being congragulated on his idea. Soon the ASL tag will be de-emphasised but the publicity and game recognition will remain.

Cynical? Yes. Realistic? It is possible.

Well, if they use the Soldiers at War game engine, this game is doomed.

SaW has a clumsy user interface, the most rediculous LOS algorithm I ever saw in any game, and the AI was a AS...Artificial Stupidity...

Hasbro...take a look what they have done to Avalon Hill...MegaCorps...I do not like them.

All IMHO.

Fred

As owner of both, Soldiers at War and Chaos Gate, I would like to point out the fact that both are using the same game engine. Chaos Gate has a slightly better engine than SaW since it's newer, so "Squad Leader" might have some improvements over the former two. It still comes nowhere near the SL/ASL games of AH, different scope, different designs...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:

Hasbro...take a look what they have done to Avalon Hill...MegaCorps...I do not like them.

All IMHO.

Fred<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus the fact that they don't even acknowledge the existence of computers other than Wintel machines... a Macintosh game from the Hasbro conglomerate would be enough to send me into a state of shock (if they ever bothered to make a game I was interested in)... wink.gif

Guest R Cunningham

The real test will be if Random Games can deliver a game that has more features than bugs. Maybe hasbro will do better than SSI in allowing them time to try.

But in any case this game is sending out all the wrong signals. I'll wait till it comes bundled as a free fullversion on a games magazine CD.