Imac won‘t run CM

Hi -

I've gotten the Mac version running on a G4 and a souped up 7600 (270 MHz G3, IxMicro Road Rocket (or something like that) 4 MB video card, 176 MB RAm). The G4 runs great. With the 7600 I have to manually switch to 640 x 480 before starting the game, then everything works fine.

------------------

- Hank

You know, my little brother, who has an iMac 233 mhz (one of the first) has the same problem. He thinks its a conflict with the cheap 3D card in the early iMacs.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

Oh i know whats the problem.

The imac has a fundamental problem with the fact that it is still a macintosh. Serious gamers need IBM clones.

Solution: buy a IBM clone, costly but super effective. I personally recommend the pentium III with the 128 ram setup.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel:

The imac has a fundamental problem with the fact that it is still a macintosh. Serious gamers need IBM clones.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't even go there, we keep this a thread for grown-ups...

The game runs fine on lots of Macs, e.g. mine. Do a search on imac or lockup or a combination of these. I think the problem has been addressed somewhere before but can not remember exactly where. Try switching the resolution to 640x480 manually, maybe that helps, otherwise do the search.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest hunt52

The 3D card in the original (Rev A 233 mhz) iMac was dinky in the extreme. I believe there is a company that sold a graphics card to replace the dinky one that was much better.

I think the Rev B had a better card...

What version of the system software are you running? That might have something to do with it...

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the company... anyone know?

- Bill

Thanks so far,

My problem is, it wont run on a iMac, 64 MB, rev. B, ati RagePro 4Mb, 800*600, 256/thousends of colors, Mac OS 8.6, Sound Sprocket 1.0

The previous demo ran fine, without any sound.

I searched this forum also, but there was no mention of anything similar.

HELP ME!

-titus

Guest hunt52

Two things you might try are updating your sound sprokets (I have 1.7.1 which came with OS 9) and checking to make sure you have the most recent ATI drivers for your card. I had a heck of a time getting a Rage Orion to work right a while ago.

- Bill

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by titus:

Thanks so far,

My problem is, it wont run on a iMac, 64 MB, rev. B, ati RagePro 4Mb, 800*600, 256/thousends of colors, Mac OS 8.6, Sound Sprocket 1.0

The previous demo ran fine, without any sound.

I searched this forum also, but there was no mention of anything similar.

HELP ME!

-titus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, try going to Apple's support website and DL the new game sprockets (v.1.7.4), install them and try again. Looks like your sound sprocket is outdated. The latest is 1.7.1, DL as part of Game Sprockets 1.7.4

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunt52:

The 3D card in the original (Rev A 233 mhz) iMac was dinky in the extreme. I believe there is a company that sold a graphics card to replace the dinky one that was much better.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the company... anyone know?

- Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The company (Villagetronic?) making them went under a while ago.

They were Voodoo stuff anyway, so not much help with CM.

Guest Big Time Software

Titus,

Try going to ATI's website and getting the latest drivers. Also make sure you set the desktop to 640x480 prior to launching. Hopefully one or the other or both will work for you. The only Sprocket we use is the Sound Sprocket, which isn't causing your problem.

Steve

I have a rev a imac, without a graphic card. (the rev a imac had no grapich card untill that shortlived company develpod one for the methathigy slot.)

at the lowest resolution, and still get more than acceptable turn computation, and frame rate. soo all you hot shots with your rev b's stop ya whineing. (although I do have 96mb of ram)

Save your old drivers before you install new ones. I installed the latest ATI drivers (from the Apple website) for my PB and everything worked fine except CM would hang up when I got to the "loading 3D graphics". When I put the old drivers back it's fine, and I've gotten used to the 640x480, but I have to use camera tilt=+1 when I use view #4.

I wonder why urs wont' work

what OS are u using

I am using a System 7.6 on my G3/400 192mb ram and 26 gig

and it runs fine

my other one is using System 9 G4/500 384mb ram and a stupid 20 gig

( this one have a problem running CM)

I wouldn't mine if i get some help hehe

Guest Big Time Software

What's the problem with the G4 system? I would suspect System 9 since I have the same setup you do but using 8.6. System 9 seems like one mistake after another. Charles even downgraded back to 8.6 after far too many flakey things were happening to all sorts of applications. I think he tried 9.04 but I could be mistaken.

Steve

Hmmm.. I have two macs, a blue and white G3 running 8.6 and a new 400 mHz iMac DVD running 9.0.4. Don't have any problems except that my mouse or keyboard sometimes lock up in CM on the G3, but that could be a hardware issue as I'm using a third party keyboard and a logitech two-button scrolling mouse. My only wish is that there were a save game *button* on the main window so that I could save my game and restart when my keyboard craps out in the middle of a turn. I can still finish a turn using only the mouse and use the autosave file without it, but it sucks to go through a lot of units issuing orders with only the mouse when you're used to the convenience of the keyboard. Also, if your keyboard craps out, there's no way to change your view and you're locked into whatever view you were on.

Other than that, CM works fine on both my systems.

Titus,

I have a Gen One Bondi Blue 233 MHz iMac which has 64 MB of RAM and a whopping 2 MB of VRAM on an ATI RAGE IIC board, running under ATI video accelerator 4.2.2. OS is 8.6, and I have the latest Game Sprocket as of several months back. (Couldn't find it listed in System Profiler.) I have 65 MB allocated to virtual memory and a 2 MB disk cache. My display is set to 800x600, but the Gold demo automatically defaults to 640x480. This makes the screen look blurry, since the Beta demo ran fine at 800x600 and that's the display resolution I'm used to, but the game runs fine, albeit without transparent smoke and related goodies.

Your iMac should be able to run the Gold demo. I highly recommend that you do download the recommended drivers for your video card, check your settings, and be sure to get a current Game Sprocket.

Best of luck!

John Kettler

P.S. If after you follow the recommendations CM's running but you still don't have sound, try toggling Shift S on and off. That's what turns sound on and off in the game. Yours may be set to OFF. This and a host of other commands are found in the Hotkeys section at the bottom of the screen.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 05-23-2000).]

I have a Rev B iMac with 96MB of ram running Mac OS 9.0.4 with the latest system updates. CM runs just fine at 800 x 600. It does not work at 1024 x 768 however. It just quits. I would prefer to play it at a higher resolution to be able to see more of the field at one time.

Anyone know why it does not like the higer resolution?