Time on Target?

OK, so it's not really about TOT barrages... (but sounds catchy, doesn't it?) wink.gif

I have noticed quite often that the time reported by forward observers (hereafter FOs)is not very accurate. In fact, once it gets down to under one minute, it seems that every "FO second" is roughly equal to 2 "game seconds". There does seem to be increased time accuracy with increased experience, but being off by a factor of two? confused.gif Can't these green FOs read a watch?

To cite an example, I was yesterday playing an operation (that shall remain nameless) that included a Green 300mm rocket FO. I targeted him on a TRP and noted the time to fire was 45 seconds. I clicked GO and sat back to watch the fun. At the end of the 60 seconds, he was reporting 14 sec remaining! Indignant, I clicked GO a second time. The rockets finally started raining down at about the 27-28 second mark (and yes, several were inaccurate and killed several of my troops mad.gif ). What gives?

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Search is good...search is your friend...

To answer, if you looked in the manual or searched smile.gif, the time given is an appox time for the shells to hit. So, yes, what you see is as designed...

Rune

I did a search and found nothing... frown.gif

Granted, the manual does say the time is approximate, I have no dispute with that. What I was questioning is the fact that there is almost no variance in the "2 for 1" timing once it's under one minute. In the operation I mentioned previously, I was able to start EACH battle (7 of them) the same way with that spotter with no more than 1 or 2 seconds of variance! Should "approximate" not equate to "variable" (at least a little bit?)

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

I did a search and found nothing... frown.gif

Granted, the manual does say the time is approximate, I have no dispute with that. What I was questioning is the fact that there is almost no variance in the "2 for 1" timing once it's under one minute. In the operation I mentioned previously, I was able to start EACH battle (7 of them) the same way with that spotter with no more than 1 or 2 seconds of variance! Should "approximate" not equate to "variable" (at least a little bit?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2:1 timing is generally due to the FO not having LOS to the target. If you actually have LOS, you get roughly 1:1.

Make sure your observer can actually see what you want to fire at....

------------------

-Doug

Yeah. Generally the 'Time to fire' represents how much the FO has to do before the shells come in rather than the actual game time. I generally watch the FO for a couple of seconds at the beginning of a round. If it starts to run 2:1, that's what it'll do until the fire drops. That goes for the 'sighting rounds' as well. They come in more slowly if there's no LOS.

Calling artillery requires a TRP and/or a grid, doesn't it? Or did they do it differently in WW2? if they DIDN'T do it differently, the time requirement between mission request and steel on target should be independent of FO LOS.