Pantherworks and the Mac

I can log in fine, but I can't use the menu on the left at all (and it appears in a very small font) which makes the site unuseable for me frown.gifconfused.gif

I'm running OS9 and Netscape 4.7

Any ideas?

- hunt52 (billcarey)

I'm using Mac OS 8.5 and Internet Explorer 5 beta( This new GUI kicks!). I can do everything fine now! All I need is for Manieri to sign up so I can record his beating! It's turn 1 and I'm already sure of victory!

Steve,

Pantherworks is a very fine site that tracks PBEM games. It's run by the forum member formerly known as Stryker( Reminds me of something). I don't know what his name is now.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com[

/url]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunt52:

I can log in fine, but I can't use the menu on the left at all (and it appears in a very small font) which makes the site unuseable for me frown.gifconfused.gif

I'm running OS9 and Netscape 4.7

Any ideas?

- hunt52 (billcarey)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like it's no good with netscape. I had the same problem with 4.7. Used IE4.5 and it worked fine.

that is a shame. I wish stuff on the net wouldn't be proprietary... If it mandates the use of Exploiter it is useless to me (ABM zone here) oh well - maybe things will change...

- Bill

Hey Guys,

Sorry that some of you are still having issues with my site. I tried to make the site completely browser and OS neutral, but am still having problems. I have recently changed the interface, but will now focus exclusively on fixing the Mac/Netscape issues.

Feel free to send me comments!

Regards,

Stryker

www.pantherworks.com

[This message has been edited by Stryker (edited 01-31-2000).]

thanks for working on it. It's a really nice site and I would love to be able to use it. Why oh why cant the people who write software make it compatible? sigh...

Thanks for the effort Stryker.

- Bill

<<If it mandates the use of Exploiter it is useless to me>>

Being an administrator, I've heard this so often: "If I can't xxx, it's useless to me".

If you don't want to install IE, then you obviously don't want to see the site very badly then, do you?

Sorry, but this just kinda burns me. Stryker is trying to create a site for the enjoyment of all, and all you can do is complain. The world does not revolve around you and your Mac!

Ian

If you are going to take that attitude, Ian, then everything should run on Netscape and nothing on IE since it came first.

It isn't a matter of everything revolving around me and my mac, but rather making things cross compatable.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

ianc

Your response demonstrates considerable naivety and intolerance wink.gif . Whether Stryker (oops I mean hunt52 aka billcarey) wants to use Netscape because it makes him feel all warm and fuzzy inside or because it's one of the few choices you get to make in common software applications or because it pisses him off him to even indirectly support an organisation that deliberately creates software incompatibilities to increase the "market" share of a free product it's his own business. As the user of a browser software which is still pretty common he is entitled to expect that he can access a web site without finding the author has fallen prey to the siren song of bandwidth hogging and essentially irrelevant features shoehorned into software by a company at the behest of a feature cramming obsession mad.gif (pity they don't have one of these smilies which foams as well). Functions do not equal functionality.

There...now I feel much better.

[This message has been edited by Simon Fox (edited 02-01-2000).]

Ian,

Maybe I didn't make this clear... I am not complaining about Stryker's site. It looks pretty cool and useful. I am complaining about whatever nitwit in the API department said, "hahaha lets screw all the netscape users and make whatever database thing we use incompatible with their browser. Then they will use IE!" This annoys me. The net is *supposed* to be an open cross-compatible platform. There is nothing Stryker can do about lame implementations by mega-corporations. It's not his fault it is their fault.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

"If I can't xxx, it's useless to me".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds pretty true to me. If I can't use the site it is useless. This is undesireable, but more and more common on the net. I have said nice things about the site on several occassions. I have nothing against it as you seem to think I do ("Stryker is trying to create a site for the enjoyment of all, and all you can do is complain.) I simply wish it would work with my computer.

As to the world revolving around my Mac, I *believe* it is a browser not platform issue (not sure anyone have problems with nav for windows) Also - it is a very typical admin/it response i've seen to say "well you should change the way you work to accomodate the defeciencies of a particular product" (in this case whatever database engine makes .asf files) rather than looking at the problem and solving it. This is imho undesireable.

I am by no means telling Stryker to redo his site so it will fit my computer needs. Rather, because I am interested in the site, I am inquiring as to whether it can be made Netscape friendly and venting a little at Microsoft for their poor and predatory design practices.

This will probably end up locked (rightly), but oh well. smile.gif

- Bill

Wow Simon, that was impressive. Smartly done invective.

- BTW Stryker - thank you for trying to fix the mac/Netscape problems... many people would shrug them off. Your work is appreciated.

- bill

ok... I may be steping out of line here (waiting for flames). But why does it matter? I can't believe grown men are having a war over browser support at a gamming site.I understand your fustrations at waiting for CM to be released. But please don't take them out on fellow gamers. I'd hate for BTS to remembered as "that riot starting company" j/k. I've come to know this board as a nice place where people of intelligence can come to share ideas and knowledge(I need some),and some good natured ribbing. lets keep it at that.

Lorak

P.S. and i vote we all go back to using unix. Thats what both these OS's were stolen from.

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

http:/clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Guest Big Time Software

Well, as someone who is also a web admin, I for one wish I could take a bunch of people from Netscape and the IE team, lock them in a big box, and ship them off to the Artic Circle until they learned how to follow the Web standards. Their box will be put right next to the ones from all the web authoring programs wink.gif Seriously, I can not believe the number of things all of these guys screw up. Netscape 4.x is something to be ashamed of (you should see how many hacks I had to put into our site!), but IE isn't perfect either. Fortunately most of IE's problems are just annoying and aren't fatal.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bauhaus:

Originally posted by ianc:

<<If it mandates the use of Exploiter it is useless to me>>

Being an administrator, I've heard this so often: "If I can't xxx, it's useless to me".

If you don't want to install IE, then you obviously don't want to see the site very badly then, do you?

Sorry, but this just kinda burns me. Stryker is trying to create a site for the enjoyment of all, and all you can do is complain. The world does not revolve around you and your Mac!

Ian<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey ianc, before you speak, you probably shouldn't generalize.....that really burns my ass. I use both browsers, on macs, but on two machines that I use, IE 4.5.1 crashes the machines. I've reinstalled the apps numerous times, killed the prefs, everything short of a clean install and same thing. Sorry, ain't gonna do a clean install for one app. But to make a statement like that is a little out of line. I don't think anybody is criticizing him for his site not being compatable with macs. I think people are more giving suggestions to help make it work better. So, I do want to see the site badly, I have installed IE, and all I get out of it is a crashed mac. Ummm, my options? Netscape.

I'm running Nav and IE on two machines and have only minor problems getting bumped by Nav. More inconvenience than problem.

Must be positive waves or something. smile.gif

Berl, thanks for heads-up on Pantherworks. I can hardly wait to log in losses. biggrin.gif

Uh, is there some sort of party or something for crossing the line from jr. to member? like crossing the equator? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 02-01-2000).]