The Armored Utility Car always wondered about it

Being blessed with being alive and well when Combat Mission Beyond Overlord came out  (CMBO)  I eventually in my tinkering came across the Armored Utility Car - it would do nothing but move around the map.  Once again I bumped into it a while ago with CM Normandy - so today I analyzed it finally and so hence this post.  

Ok so I cannot get it to fire on anything  not area fire or nothing. It does give one two smokes meaning you can put smoke out the personnel in the vehicle - you can get them to come out of it but if you choose them to be used as reinforcements coming to the front lines under fire in their semi protected vehicle when they jump out - 4 of them - all of them only have a .45 pistol except for one that has a Thompson at least they are using the same ammo. 

You can get the driver to pop his head up and down in case you want him to get shot at.  IMO this was a vehicle that never got fixed that came with CMBO and now when included with Normandy it has stayed in the same shape 

Where am I going wrong ???  Oh it has a .50 cal machine gun on it I have not looked to see if I can see it but it says there is one this is why I tried to do an area fire with the vehicle. 

This was not really intended as a fighting vehicle. Think of it as a lightly armored jeep intended to haul the brass around somewhat safely on the battlefield. In other words, what is called a command vehicle. The MG is strictly for self-protection in case they got shot at and the driver is having trouble getting the gear into reverse. If you get one in a scenario, your best bet is to stick it somewhere where it can observe without being seen. First priority is not being seen.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=751

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

IIRC M-20s were commonly attached to the HQ of US tank-destroyer units.

Yes, and I have also read that they were part of the TO&E of artillery battalions. I'm not sure if they were used to move FOs, but ISTR they moved survey teams around ahead of the batteries. In any event, they often carried extra radio gear. Might have been used as ground controllers for FBs.

Michael

The reason m20s and m8s were attached to TD units was to protect the flanks. I like to put bazooka teams in my m20s in quickbattles. Don't drive them inside cities keep them on the outskirts because of the open tops and speed/hiding is key to their survival. Try to keep them hull down behind something if defending. The game gives them less armor then they should have so keep them at a distance from enemy mgs and rifle fire as it will go through sometimes.

Edited by user1000