version 4 Pbem games compatible

Both Players have to use the same Game Engine/Patch Upgrade in order to continue PBEM...

Exceptions would be if one player had CMBN, and other player had CMBN + CW game module (for example) with both players patched the same...Then, both sides can continue their PBEM.  

Joe

On 31.12.2016 at 11:50 AM, JoMc67 said:

Both Players have to use the same Game Engine/Patch Upgrade in order to continue PBEM...

Exceptions would be if one player had CMBN, and other player had CMBN + CW game module (for example) with both players patched the same...Then, both sides can continue their PBEM.  

Joe

Hi Joe

Are you sure, that players with the same version can "just continue"?

IIRCR, in earlier transitions, we had to start an old scenario with the new version, save it mid-turn and then re-start the newly saved file.

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hi Joe

Are you sure, that players with the same version can "just continue"?

IIRCR, in earlier transitions, we had to start an old scenario with the new version, save it mid-turn and then re-start the newly saved file.

You know, I could be 2nd guessing myself now...Thou, I think BF has mentioned in the past that both players have to be patched equally to continue or start New Scenario/QB ?

Yeah, I do remember that issue we had at an earlier time (when we first played), so I don't know. 

Yes, you need to have the same version to play. Yes, you can have a game in progress and continue playing it after both players upgrade.

It is possible that an upgrade fails to work. Long ago I did have it happen but the vast, vast majority of the time the game continues to work just fine. What you can see is some odd sounds or graphics being used temporarily. For instance with this latest upgrade any existing smoke will look funny after upgrade (seems to be using fire textures instead) but any new smoke generated will use the right textures and look fine. Once the smoke from previous turns dissipates the game looks normal from that point on.

Since we are on the topic the officially supported way to upgrade is to

1. Load the PBEM turn in the current game version
  2. Watch the turn and enter command mode
  3. Save the game
  4. Install the upgrade or patch which ever is appropriate
  5. Load the saved turn file you created in step 3
  6. Finish adding your orders and then
  7. Push the BRB to generate the next PBEM turn

Your opponent can then upgrade or patch and then open their next turn and off they go.

5 hours ago, IanL said:

Yes, you need to have the same version to play. Yes, you can have a game in progress and continue playing it after both players upgrade.

It is possible that an upgrade fails to work. Long ago I did have it happen but the vast, vast majority of the time the game continues to work just fine. What you can see is some odd sounds or graphics being used temporarily. For instance with this latest upgrade any existing smoke will look funny after upgrade (seems to be using fire textures instead) but any new smoke generated will use the right textures and look fine. Once the smoke from previous turns dissipates the game looks normal from that point on.

Since we are on the topic the officially supported way to upgrade is to

1. Load the PBEM turn in the current game version
  2. Watch the turn and enter command mode
  3. Save the game
  4. Install the upgrade or patch which ever is appropriate
  5. Load the saved turn file you created in step 3
  6. Finish adding your orders and then
  7. Push the BRB to generate the next PBEM turn

Your opponent can then upgrade or patch and then open their next turn and off they go.

Thanks, Ian.