Steve, Pillboxes should have the "Hide" order too!

well, if "hiding" sounds strange for a pillbox make it "hold fire" wink.gif

Steve once made a statement about how to judge proposals:

A: Does it add to the game?

It certainly does; The "Hide" command is one of the most used orders when on the defensive.

B: Is it realistic?

It is. If a CO orders the crew of the pillbox to "hold fire until ordered or a direct threat appears" (like the hide order for tanks/infantry), the soldiers usually obey. And a well camouflaged pillbox is not always instantly spotted at long range IF if does not fire (and no recon was done before).

C: Is it a major effort to implement it?

No, the "hide" routines are already there; just assign them to the pillbox units.

Just a proposal... wink.gif

Fred

Guest Germanboy

At the moment, you can just have them target ambush markers, that seems to work for me. I am not sure if hiding an infantry squad is really the same, I always think of them digging in, hugging the ground and not watching the area. A pillbox would only hold fire, and still observe. So a 'Hold Fire' command might be better, but at the moment targetting ambush markers seems to achieve that, too.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:

Andreas,

i tried it, but it does not work; as soon as the pillboxes have a valid LOS they fire away and don't care for the ambush marker.

Fred<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, there goes my idea... Guess I have to join the chorus for a 'Hold Fire' command now...

------------------

Andreas

I would have to agree here to an extent:

I think that at pillbok should be able to be hidden until they have fired (think of it as taking the time to conceal the position byusing netting shrubs etc)

If this isnt acceptible then maybe if the pillbox is placed in terrain such as woods or tall pines (or the equiv) then they can choose to hide until firing.

They do seem to be easily spotted and identifed - but this is no HUGE deal for me I love the game regardless and if this isnt implemented in a patch -I can wait for CM 2 smile.gif

It would be a nice feature

thanks

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markk:

I think only the wooden bunkers should be able to be given the hide command.Afer all,wooden bunkers are made out of cut logs.Therefore easy to camo and hide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Hide order would be given to the crew, not the structure itself. It would prevent them from firing at every target they see, to conserve ammunition. In effect they would lay down in the bunker with their little safeties on.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think only the wooden bunkers should be able to be given the hide command.Afer all,wooden bunkers are made out of cut logs.Therefore easy to camo and hide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, the Hide command is more of a Hold Fire command (at least where vehicles, guns and bunkers are concerned)

Second... a concrete bunker is no more difficult to camoflage than a log bunker. The Germans were rather good at it.

I wrote this in a previous post..so I agree with you all!

ok this topic has already been discussed...you can spare ammo by putting units on Hide!

damn..but bunkers can't be put on Hide..so you see your Mg guys wasting ammo on lousy targets like a 1man mg already wiped out!

mad.gifeek.gifconfused.gif