Firing upstairs?

Move camera outside of building and look at building from side-on (not above).  Drag target command from unit up to next level above.  You should see a target line extending from unit to center of floor on the next level.  If it command goes to center of the unit's own floor, try again (may need to vary place you are clicking or camera angle).

Edited by akd

4 hours ago, PapaD said:

How the heck do I issue orders to area fire on the floor above for a squad who entered a multi-floor building? I'm tired of getting my GI's killed by the huns they are supposed to mop up.:angry:

4 hours ago, akd said:

Move camera outside of building and look at building from side-on (not above).  Drag target command from unit up to next level above.  <Snip> 

There may be one exception to this.  If it is a one action spot footprint building I am not able to get units on a lower floor to area fire up.  They will target at will spotted OpFor above them and the OpFor above can area fire and target at will down.  I have only noticed this occurrence in 1 A/S footprint buildings.  

All that said, it may be more practical to have a friendly unit outside of the building area target light into the OpFor occupied upper floor.  The friendly unit on the lower floor will fire up on its own if it can get a spot.  Or better yet wait outside the building, drive the OpFor out with direct fire and finish them off as they panic and run outside.    

5 hours ago, gundolf said:

Those 7 story church steeples can be the worst. You pretty much have to let the tac ai get fire superiority. Yes friends on the outside firing at the floor help too. An ai lone BAR gunner once took out 11 of my squadies trying to go upstairs until he ran out of ammo.

Yes,

in one scenario I just fought ther was this lone german in a high church that was a total pest. Leftover from a MG-squad I hammered out. He ran down from 7:th I think it was to 3:d without me knowing. Lots of fire wasted on the high floors by my troops and total massacre on the two squads i sent up in "hunt" order. Could probably have happened in real life, but more likely they would have threw chem-grenades upstairs before advancing. At least they would if I could tell them to... I tried and tried to use area fire one stairs up, but I didn't get it to work.

Interesting. I like what @akd suggested but my method is some what different. I tab right to the unit in the building I am trying to get to fire. Then I use the mouse scroll button to move the camera directly up in the building until I can see the floor above.  By see the floor mean literally see the floor of the next story in the building.  Then I target and place the target right in front of the camera which is directly above the unit on the floor above.  Seems to work for me. 

One thing I tried was to send in a pioneer squad, ordered a breach onto the next floor hoping the blast would effect the holdout. Unfortunately blast is not an offensive command and it didn't do what I had hoped. This is what I save flame throwers for, if you happen to have them.

Edited by gundolf