The Great Fire

Childress

On 10/29/2016 at 10:19 AM, John Kettler said:

Spartacus fuit clarus servus qui habitabat in Capua.

"Spartacus was a famous slave  who lived in Capua." 

Retiarius_stabs_secutor_%28color%29.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Pig latin.

Spartacus, clarus servus, in Capua habitat. fui is understood (depends on what your definition of 'is' is, really) and the referential verb comes at the end of the sentence (and with the correct tense - not imperfect.

costard,

What I wrote is how I remembered it from my high school Latin book. Now, we are talking about my memory...

Childress,

Perish the thought! For any possible suicidal ideation, may I refer you to the depths of despair a multi-day internet outage cause me?

Michael Emrys,

Good one.

Guys,

How about a gladiatrix?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8780000/8780862.stm

The above is a strong maybe, but this earlier one appears to be a slam dunk. the grave goods are simply amazing.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2000/sep/13/artsfeatures

And this appears to cover both.

http://www.ancienthistoryarchaeology.com/female-gladiators-in-the-arc

Regards,

John Kettler

costard,

What I wrote is how I remembered it from my high school Latin book. Now, we are talking about my memory...

Childress,

Perish the thought! For any possible suicidal ideation, may I refer you to the depths of despair a multi-day internet outage cause me?

Michael Emrys,

Good one.

Guys,

How about a gladiatrix?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8780000/8780862.stm

The above is a strong maybe, but this earlier one appears to be a slam dunk. The grave goods are simply amazing.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2000/sep/13/artsfeatures

And this appears to cover both.

http://www.ancienthistoryarchaeology.com/female-gladiators-in-the-arc

Finally, I strongly disagree with the general characterization of gladiatorial combat as being to the death. This was, in fact, the exception, was specifically advertised as "sine missio" and required big money  be paid to the owner of the ludus for incurring such risks to what were, for the big names, pro athletes of the highest caliber. Frankly, I think one of the writers has receiving the rudis confused with missio. Missio means you don't get killed (except maybe by an unlucky stroke), whereas the being awarded the rudis means that for your courage and excellence as a fighter, generally over many combats, you are freed from being a gladiator and are returned to Roman society. Some cycled in and out of the arena, probably after high living and acute longing for the electric aliveness Type "A"s so crave. Believe one guy got the rudis thrice.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

There is a gladiator school in Germany which has tons of crisp, clear footage in long segments on YT. Augusta Raurica 2015! The German is tough on my ears, since I don't speak but a few words, but all the commands to the gladiators are given in Latin, and each fight is officiated strictly. Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that whole "nos morituri..." stuff and developed their own slogan! Also, I think the retiarii should have manicae instead of those Michelin guy bandage thingies. Also, I find matches in the ruins of real Roman arenas much more interesting both in vibe and visuals. As for here, bleachers would improve atmosphere greatly.

Regards,

John Kettler

I hear you about the memory, John. I suspect you're a tough old bugger.

At some point the saturation of information leads to relative paralysis of analysis (generation of synthesised knowledge). Generalists suffer sooner - and require more mental horsepower in order to contribute in a timely fashion. Development of the capability is true work - thus we have institutions of tertiary education, and further. Also required is the wealth and socially held mythology to enable someone to effectively (in terms of supporting themselves) sit on their arse and do nothing but have an idea (synthesised outcome) every four weeks, of which one in 20 is not bad. The problem being, of course, if s/he's so smart, how would I know if that's a good idea? Reproduction of the process of synthesis into the shared language is an "open books" policy - a writer must be willing to have themselves exposed, has in fact already exposed themselves, if they contribute to a general discussion in the same way a speaker does. 

We (English users) have the biggest library - we stole an awful lot from wherever we could find it, Apparently the reformed (or red shift) Roman Catholic Church, i.e. Protestant mythology has the content to provide the systems of wealth generation to support otherwise (in regions less socially developed, those that haven't undergone a red shift). The canons of English Common Law is the library. Filling it full of **** isn't, in my view, the best use of the technology.

Deepest apologies for the threadjack - back to your regular show (good pics, btw).

Hi Michael. Good to see you're in spirits - but did you check to see if I got the past perfect correct? I think I cocked up, again.

Excellent exposition, costard. I've been a canary in a coal mine all my adult life. I can't claim to have had much impact on the unfolding of events, nor has it ever won me anything but the good opinion of the people who know me. I expect there are many who would say I am just another useless crank, but it's what I do, take it or leave it.

Michael

It's our fault, JK. Cotard dwells in a higher dimension.

But Emrys grokked it. I kneel to both of them.

Or it may be a case of the Cotard Delusion (no offense ,Cotard):

' The delusion of negation is the central symptom in Cotard's syndrome. The patient afflicted with this mental illness usually denies their existence, the existence of a certain body part, or the existence of a portion of their body. Cotard's syndrome exists in three stages: (i) Germination stage—the symptoms of psychotic depression and of hypochondria appear; (ii) Blooming stage—the full development of the syndrome and the delusions of negation; and (iii) Chronic stage—continued, severe delusions along with chronic psychiatric depression. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion