Move to contact-flag

One of the things I find annoying is how troops behave when they first come under fire.  Unless they are hunting, they generally speed up and run to their destination point until they get pinned down.  I'd love to see a toggle or flag that allows them one of two different behaviors, either go for it (what they do now), or stop.  

Edited by warrenpeace

I've had the same thought. Sometimes you need your guys to make it to the assigned waypoint regardless of danger, i.e., end positioning being more important than the damage you may suffer in order to get there. Other times, preservation is the main focus. I think many variables play into how hard they'll go for the waypoint, but, yeah, you're right, it'd be really nice to have some more control over that. If not a flag, maybe another movement command or two could accomplish the same thing?

43 minutes ago, sttp said:

maybe another movement command or two could accomplish the same thing?

How about fast for - just go as fast as you can and don't stop no matter, quick for - go at a good pace and stop if things get really bad, and hunt for - go carefully and stop as soon as anything even looks bad.  :) I know, I know I'm not that funny :)

Mind you I realize that move does a strange morphing that does not seem to match the others.  I just think you can already get nearly what you want.

11 minutes ago, IanL said:

How about fast for - just go as fast as you can and don't stop no matter, quick for - go at a good pace and stop if things get really bad, and hunt for - go carefully and stop as soon as anything even looks bad.  :) I know, I know I'm not that funny :)

Mind you I realize that move does a strange morphing that does not seem to match the others.  I just think you can already get nearly what you want.

Spot on.

Further to Ian's response, I think the broad object of the movement choices from a gameplay perspective are; where are my moving troops likely to encounter enemy fire (if at all), what is the bounding distance concerned and the state of the terrain and cover over that bounding distance, and then, what are the pros and cons over selecting one movement type over another given those other considerations.