How to make the PSW area fire with its 20mm HE?

In a current PBEM I had a SPW 251/17 (Ausf. D) Area Target a woodline.  It fired 20mm HE.    I just gave it a Pause at a waypoint and a Target Briefly followed by a Reverse to get out of dodge.  This SPW was the platoon commanders HT.  Was your SPW part of the original TOE or added through Single Vehicle purchase during the purchase phase?  Or maybe a different SPW? 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

In a current PBEM I had a SPW 251/17 (Ausf. D) Area Target a woodline.  It fired 20mm HE.    I just gave it a Pause at a waypoint and a Target Briefly followed by a Reverse to get out of dodge.  This SPW was the platoon commanders HT.  Was your SPW part of the original TOE or added through Single Vehicle purchase during the purchase phase?  Or maybe a different SPW? 

That's interesting. Are you sure it did not actively spot an enemy unit there? Because sometimes when the SPW spots a target, it will decide to use the 20mm. In all other cases I have seen, it only uses it when you fire at an area of cover (building, hedge, wall, etc).

The SPWs are part of the forces I am given in the campaign I am playing. Some are HQ unit for another SPW I think.

I am sad that I cannot choose to fire the 20mm at forests, because I thought it would be perfect to flush out possible ambushes.. And I am not sure why it wouldn't be possible - after all I can easily make tanks fire their main gun into forests.

Edited by Bulletpoint

@Bulletpoint Okay I gave this some more thought.  First off this is the CMBN forum so you are probably playing a CMBN campaign.  My PBEM is in CMFB.  Also you asked about a PSW and I answered for a SPW 251/17. (I sometimes forget which forum I'm reading.  Now I know how @Michael Emrys feels :D).  

I will load my CMBN test map and see what happens with a PSW in the CMBN title.  Sorry for the confusion.

21 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I think it would be useful if it fired the 20mm (or both the MG & 20mm) on Target and just the MG on Target Light

Indeed, I would have expected that to be the way things worked. I have vague recollections of this having been mentioned before, though, a long time ago. I wonder whether it was a thing that was fixed that then got unfixed, as occasionally happens. Or whether it's never quite made it to the top of the mending basket.