Struggling to achieve maximum of 45FPS when just viewing the map.

Hello CM Community, I'm fairly new to the series, owning both Black Sea, and Battle For Normandy, but for this issue i'm more focused on BS. My issue is that when playing on maxed settings with V-sync off I have never had smooth gameplay, the game is very laggy and at times slow to no response when in the midst of a battle. i thought maybe it was because there were a lot of units on the map, but when i got to map preview with no units, i still struggle to keep a steady 45 fps, with it dropping and lingering around 25 fps. its very hard to play that way. 

Specs: Intel I7 4970K GTX 980 16gb RAM Windows 10

below are my nvidia control panel settings, i've tinkered around with them trying to achieve the best performance but to no avail.

settings1.JPG

settings2.JPG

1 hour ago, Air_Knight said:

with it dropping and lingering around 25 fps. its very hard to play that way.

To clarify are you saying that you experience poor camera control smoothness and stuttering at 25 fps? Or are you talking about the subtle visual things that you can notice if you are looking for them at lower frame rates?

4 minutes ago, IanL said:

To clarify are you saying that you experience poor camera control smoothness and stuttering at 25 fps? Or are you talking about the subtle visual things that you can notice if you are looking for them at lower frame rates?

Yes i mean that the camera tends to have a delayed response when I pan it around the map as I play. Thank you for posting those threads, ill look into them and get back to you with what I have gathered from them.

Yeah, I hope it helps.  It seems (you will discover from those threads) that some people have problems and others don't.  I used to think that it was perception rather than fact but those threads cleared that up.  Sadly not everyone ends up happy.  Hopefully BFC can make improvements for people over time.  

Yeah I guess you are right, I've skimmed through both articles but still getting the same issues, I guess i'll just play around with the settings, it still just makes me wonder what it could be because the specs i have are relatively top of the line, yet I have choppy gameplay, but then again it all goes back to some people having issues, and others none at all. Make me jealous lol because this is a great game.

For me the only improvement happened when I bumped my gfx card's pre rendered frames to 8. That made a noticeable difference. Nothing else did. 

But at the end of the day it's not a very efficient engine (compared to modern ones),  plus it's 32bit (ie max 3gb usable ram)  so we're pretty much at the envelope with a battalion level battle. Many would add that that is the practical limits of unit control anyhow. 

Edited by kinophile

• 3 months later...