Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Joint UA/US/NATO exercise underway in Ukraine

Thought this might be of interest, since it not only addresses the annual, this year 1800 strong, 14 nation exercise itself, but talks about the ever growing toll the UA is sustaining in fighting Putin's proxy army.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-launches-joint-military-drills-nato-112542115.html

As the map clearly shows, Yavoriv, the site of the exercise, is in the far western part of Ukraine near Lviv, close to the Polish border and well away from Russia's.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=yavoriv%2C+ukraine&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Interesting piece as always. Thanks.

While I do not wish to be political I do not see Ukraine becoming a NATO member unless relations with Russia really deteriorated very badly and war appeared highly likely. Otherwise it would be a highly provocative move. Unofficial/semi official support would appear to be what is happening but not a a level that would unduly anagonise Moscow

Edited by LUCASWILLEN05

LUCASWILLEN05,

The way I look at it is this: Interoperability training is always a good thing. It is even better when you get to see how well the troops you've painstakingly trained perform in the field when compared to the US and NATO troops. That it happens to send a rather pointed military message to Moscow in the process is simply fortunate happenstance, right? Am not quite sure which way to jump on whether it would be better or worse for Ukraine to join NATO only if war seemed imminent. I believe such a course might not find the other Members sufficiently invested (in several meanings of the word) in Ukraine if Ukraine came in right on the eve of war.

Contrariwise, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Putin would get quite excited if Ukraine joined NATO sooner rather than later. I'm certain Ukraine's joining NATO would be seen as a strategic catastrophe in the Kremlin and watching for any signs of such activity would naturally be a Grade 1 intelligence collection priority for the FSB. Doubtless, the Kremlin has some thoroughly unpleasant contingency plans long since drawn up on what to do should Ukraine show any signs at all of applying to NATO for Member status. Believe the limits of such action were defined in long discussions in several threads, but I feel confident in stating nuclear strikes would be threatened. Russia has done so in the past regarding Ukraine, and over far smaller matters. Past is prologue.

Nor is Ukraine the only nation to be thus threatened. During the Cold War, when Viktor Belenko defected in his MiG-25 and the Russians became aware the aircraft was being dissected for intelligence analysis, word was quickly passed to the Japanese government by Russia it would nuke Japan if the IFF box wasn't promptly returned unopened. It was. I got that information from the guy I've mentioned several times who was an employee in my department but also our intel conduit from his sponsor in the CIA. That was a back channel threat. Putin has clearly shown he's prepared to go much farther than that.

Regards,

John Kettler

I agree with what yo say John.I am however looking at this fro the geopolitical/strategic angle. Certainly it s vital that Putin understands that he should not push beyond certain boundaries. On the other and, were NATO to step beyond certain boundaries Moscow would see this as too provocative and,potentially provoking a war that is neither sought nor intended. As you say Russia no doubt has contingency plans for a full scale war with NATO which might apply. Indeed, the situation before the war depicted in the CMBS scenario assumes just the circumstances.

My personal view is that, if a war were inevitable it would not matter if Ukraine joined NATO. It might make Puin pause and think about whether he really wants a war with all of NATO over Ukraine, decide this isn't a good deals and step back from the brink.Or, as is equally possible it might simply precipitate a clash that, at this future point is deemed insatiable, Ukraine then forms a greater defense in depth for NATO. It gets invaded.NATO moves troops in and Ukraine becomes a battlefield. In an al out war so does the Baltic States and perhaps Eastern Poland depending o how the fighting develops. However it dveops this scenario would be all out war in Europe, deterrence having failed

13 hours ago, kinophile said:

Mix of British and US helmets?

I think this is such view of camera+possibly wrong size of helmet on soldiers gives "British helmet" effect. This is our common M1 helmet by Temp-3000 producer. Also soldiers uses many Shubert M826 helmets - western or volunteer aid.

Here M1 w/o cover (also photo from Rapid Trident 2016)

z0YEGIF3tS0.jpg

And with cover (Marines squad on Rapid Trident 2016)

5E09EPZsXaM.jpg