PC and MAC, not PC vs MAC

CM is one heavy hitting tactical wargame goodness with lots to show off! Something BTS should get highly recognized for. But how about that other strange thing about CM?

CM was released for PC and MAC at the same time! Not only that, we can share scenarios across the two platforms!!!

Isn't CM a wargame? Yet it extends an olive branch of peace in the ever ending war between PCs and MACs. It almost makes me believe that world peace is possible...

Okay, I'll cut that nonsense out. But really, BTS deserves credit for going against the conventional wisdom of the computer Industry in more ways than one, no middle man, no big publisher, and supporting multiple platforms, even the lowly MAC which we PC owners know is almost dead...

I do expect to see some scenarios from MAC CM owners. Of course, not many, but some smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

What really impressed me is that the PBEM files are seamlessly interchangable too smile.gif

Oh and kump, dont forget CM was programmed on a Mac! wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Quote from KwazyDog

dont forget CM was programmed on a Mac!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, TRULY amazing! And we only had to wait an additional year too! Amazing. smile.gif

Please, just jesting. The MAC is (cough..cough) awesome.

Be careful..... CM is actually programmed on a Mac and ported to the PC.

Uh... I'm too slow at this...

I'm sure the Mac wargamers out there can't stop praising BTS for creating CM. There really hasn't been anything like it on the Mac outside of TacOps and the Apple IIe's Kampfgruppe.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 06-29-2000).]

Schrullenhaft,

I must have beat you to the post! MACs must be slower too smile.gif

Nah, looking much more forward working and playing with MAC users instead of screaming some sense into them. If I was a MAC user, CM would be a must! I'd be so shocked to have something this good available, I'd delay trading in my MAC on a PC for another year biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 06-29-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

I have a PC here myself and I havnt personally had any interaction with mac in about 4-5 years, but I indeed found it impressive cm was being coded on one.

Anyways, let not get into a flame war if possable guys wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Anyways, let not get into a flame war if possable guys <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not intended to be one. I always found the old MAC vs PC debate silly. But making wise cracks is just my style. I don't think anyone would take me too seriously, people I know never do smile.gif

I at least try to show I'm jesting by use of the smiley faces, but I've read that such is dangerous, some Peng guy or something on some kind of crusade, or whatever. So I use them sparingly to avoid attention wink.gif

BACK TO THE POINT OF POST - Its great to have a developer release for both platforms at the same time (no waiting for porting reasons) and allow both platforms to share scenarios and PBEM!!! I can surf to MAC sites for some very good scenarios done by "those other platform" guys. Very cool, very significant, and about time!!!

Oh Kump! oh Kump, oh Kump, oh KUMP! MY GOD WILL YOU KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE SMILIES? I just finished the Cpt Manieri Cheating thread and I am right out of any sense of humor or proportion or what have you. So I read this thread and you seem to be saying that My Anti Smiley sentiment is a danger to others? Yes! I am out of my mind. YES I am a looney! Yes I hate smilies almost as much as the annual rectal exam....but my point, if I had one, is this: oh never mind. I'm on a crusade. I hate the little bastards. I think you should hate them too. I think everyone should hate them. They have their uses. but so do rectal exams.

Peng - trying out the new sig

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.

[This message has been edited by MrPeng (edited 07-02-2000).]

My question is no mean of starting any flame war or anything for that matter but I own a PC and I'm not very happy with it. What distracted me of buying a Mac was that you could not find any good games. Now that CM is there I don't need to keep my PC anymore. My question is this : Is the Mac a good computer ? Ok, some of you will go down on me for such a stupid question but I really wanna now if you find good softwares and if you can choose many of them ? Is the OS stable or more or less like windows ? etc.

I asked all that because you guys from both "world" live here and I think it is where I could find good, objective answers. Well I hope so. But please no flame war as it is not intended in this post.

Thanks already.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My question is no mean of starting any flame war or anything for that matter but I own a PC and I'm not very happy with it. What distracted me of buying a Mac was that you could not find any good games. Now that CM is there I don't need to keep my PC anymore. My question is this : Is the Mac a good computer ? Ok, some of you will go down on me for such a stupid question but I really wanna now if you find good softwares and if you can choose many of them ? Is the OS stable or more or less like windows ? etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, all of that depends on who you talk to. Apple's benchmarks touting the G3 and G4's performance as several times that of a PII or PIII aren't really accurate for real world operations, and the Mac still lags behind the PC in terms of gaming graphics performance. That's starting to change, however, and the Mac is catching up.

For day-to-day things like word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, and the like, there isn't much difference between the two "worlds." Most the common applications like Office, Internet Explorer, and Netscape (of course) are made for both. The Mac also tends to have a lot of smaller developers making utility software in a (so far) vain attempt to twart the "evil" Microsoft. Apple makes some good apps too.

In terms of stability, I haven't had any major problems. I don't have much experience with PCs, but in all the years I've owned a Mac, I've never had anything seriously go wrong that might kill the computer or something. The OS is fairly stable, but be wary of upgrading. I think we're up to 9.4, but I'm still on 8.6, and want to stay that way for as long as possible. Upgrading (as it does with most apps and OSs) tends to wreak havoc with precious data and apps, and it can take a little while to work out the kinks in your own system. OS X is supposed to be out sometime this year (I think), and that should greatly help any stability issues, as it will be the first Mac OS with protected memory (so that when one app crashes, it won't take everything down with it, and you won't have to reboot the system as often).

Hope this helped.

-Andrew

I have both: Mac and PC, and the Mac rocks.

The OS is the Windows Bill dream about.

Is fast. ( At least my G4)

You don't worry about viruses.

All the things (soft and hard) are compatible in between machines.

You get the best graphics and multimedia software, and all the other software stuff is available too.

Not much games... But we have CM...

Ariel

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

I have both: Mac and PC, and the Mac rocks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would generally second Ariel's statement. I have two Macs (switched six years back, and owned five different Macs in the meantime), and you will have to pry them out of my dead hands. I dread the day when I have to go to work in a non-Mac office. I only use PCs to practice cursing.

Reasons: stability, simplicity, community, CM is available for the Mac, speed (compared to our PC lab machines), ease of use. Microtrash Office is fully compatible between the two platforms now, and I have all the software on the machine that I need.

------------------

Andreas

Thanks guys. It really helped. I knew just about nothing about Mac so I'm seeing the light. The worst thing is that a G4 is much more expensive than a PC but I 1 year time I think I'll be able to buy it.

Mirage2K ready for a game ?

Hello !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

The worst thing is that a G4 is much more expensive than a PC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I haven't seen a comparable PC for any less.

Well with a Pc you have the choice of 3 CPU (AMD, Intel and Intel Celeron), you also got or are able to find so cheaper card that works just fine for about half the ammount of the original one. But I admit that if you buy the latest Intel PIII processor and the latest brand card you get about the same price as a G4. One thing I hate on the G4 is the keyboard and the mouse. I think they suck.

I really want to do the switch over but I don't know anything about Mac, whether it is easy to use and understand how the OS works. So if some one wants to give me money, I accept it. wink.gif