SP Mega Campaigns vs CM operations ?

I haven't seen this brought up anywhere else so I thought I'd give it a shot. I pre-ordered the Mega Campaign set from Novastar years ago. That concept really had me drooling and I was so disappointed when Nova was forced to fold and it never really came out.

I'm wondering if any of the beta guys are familiar with that product or have played it and can make any comparisons between the SP Mega Campaign and the CM operations.

It looks like CM is taking the same approach but should really surpass it by far because it's being included in the original game design and not being kludged on top of an already existing game.

p.

Guest Big Time Software

Hello Peter,

I only have a surface understanding of Nova's work, but one thing it couldn't possibly do is one of the biggest selling point of CM's Operations. That is the dynamic map.

What you do is take your force from A to B on a very large map one chunk at a time. The neat thing is that the chunk is variable depending on where the "front line" winds up at the end of a battle. So you get a real sense of progress, or lack there of, instead of the standard "warping". You might find yourself fighting on 50% of the same map you just fought on, complete with knocked out stuff and damaged buildings from the previous battle/s. You also fight in different weather and over night if the designer chose to allow either.

There are more details about the Operations themselves, but I would think that the above covers the major differences between Novastar's Mega Campaign and CM's Operations.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>complete with knocked out stuff [...] from the previous battle/s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> eek.gif Uhh-Ohh ! Will this not adversely affect the polygon-count and the frame-rate, respectively ? confused.gif

Also, if you plan to leave shell holes on the map, will there be a limit to their number ? I imagine that peppering the landscape with artillery barrages will send the polygon count skywards !

Regards, Thomm

Not really Thomm, 3 or 4 knocked out vehicles with NO smoke isn't much of a frame-rate killer.

I haven't encountered problems with this in operations in any case and I once knocked out close to 20 US vehicles in the very first battle.. Pillboxed 88s .. You will ALL love them (unless you play as the Americans wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Captain Foobar

This brings up an issue that i pose to either Fionn, or BTS. This "warping" of the map: Will this be something that can extend to use in the Meta-Campaign? My current understanding of the edge-to-edge maps of the meta-campaign is that you are either in one or the other. Comments?

Captain Foobar,

I've only read through what Fionn's posted concerning the CMMC (CM meta-campaign), so I may be wrong. However, I understand that the GM's will be writin the maps on a per-battle basis. Initially a large number of small maps will be made to create the entire map. From there the GM will create an appropriate map. Essentially a manual version of CM's operation.

Justin

PS, Will CM have a copy/paste tool in the editor that allows copying a portion from one map to another? This would allow cuts to be made from the grid of maps origianally created and saved to the map being sent to the players.

Guest Big Time Software

Thomm, the problem with too many polygons is the same for a Battle or an Operation. I could put two tank companies up against each other in each and the results would be the same if the map size were the same. However, if the map size for the Operation is larger, then probably some of the wrecks would be left behind as one side advances. Again, we are not imposing max unit counts for either Battles or Operations so the same potential to overwhelm the hardware exists for both. But these would have to be hefty battles on poorer systems.

Justin, the Editor does not have cut and paste abilities. We really want to add this for the future, but it was a bit too much work for this round. On The List though wink.gif

Steve

This sounds very cool, I can imagine counter attacking over previously lost territory. See-sawing battles, taking, losing and then re-taking villages....

CM is looking like it's going to be THE best thing since sliced bread.

But wait there's more...Ost Front biggrin.gif

Sorry Fionn, I assumed Steve was not participating in the CMMC forum so I figured this needed to be asked here first. If something turned up that would be useful for CMMC I'd have posted over on the mailer.

Steve, good to hear that its on the list. This is something that would make a great update after v1.0 wink.gif

J

Justin.

No worries. I just don't want to have to start discussing it in 2 places plus I don't want the forum being sidetracked by discussions about it.. I set up the mailing list so we could get sidetracked there wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Concerning th dynamic "scrolling" map and knocked out vehicles..

The Allies lose a vehicle on thier edge of the map, but perform well, and the map adjusts for the next battle, causing the knocked out vehicle to become off-map. On the new battle, the allies get whipped pretty good and get pushed back. If the map readjusts back , and the area where the vehicle was knocked out comes back on map, will that vehicle still be there? Or does the program account only for locations of vehicles currently on map when it readjusts?

• 4 months later...