Another Newbie...!

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for an entry-level computer war-game. Several years ago I played a few board games, American civil war and WWII, but we really never got past a beginners level. Now I would like to pursue my interest in war games again, but this time I would like to play on-line. I was checking out a few demos and they seemed rather advanced for me, so I am looking for a beginner/learning type war game(s). I am running Windows 10. Thanks in advance and I look forward to playing with and learning from you!

Welcome. Which demos did you try that felt too advanced? And do you have a favorite time period or war? There are so many games to choose from. Obviously, the folks around here are going to like the Combat Mission series, it's definitely recommended, but if you tell us which demos you were referring to it would be easier to judge if Combat Mission is right for you. Though even if you find CM too advanced at first, it's nothing some practice and hanging about the forums couldn't fix.

If you are in to going back further in time, the Total War series is good. Personally, I rate Napoleon, Empire and Medieval 2 as favorites, though some will prefer the Rome era games. It partly depends on which era or time frame you find most interesting. But there are good games to recommend in any era, so give us a little more info of what you are looking for and what interests you. There is also  the matter of a strategy game versus a tactical game. My all time favorite strategy game is Europa Universalis IV for example.

Edited by landser

28 minutes ago, landser said:

My all time favorite strategy game is Europa Universalis IV for example.

A decade or so I played EU2 for a while and it was definitely enjoyable, but not something I would recommend to a beginner. For one thing, the time investment to play a complete game is enormous. The same applies to HOI3 which I am currently up to my eyeballs in. It feels less like a game than a career!

:wacko::D

Michael

Yes, I agree and didn't mean to recommend it for a newbie! Just as an example of a strategy game as opposed to a tactical game.

I've been playing Close Combat 2 lately, and that would be a good recommendation as well, but the OP wants MP and would probably be tough finding opponents for that one :)

4 hours ago, landser said:

By the way, as you may know HOI 4 is due for release in the near future.

Yes, I came across a mention of that fact a year or so ago. Hadn't heard anything further about a release date though. Usually with something as ambitious as this I will wait a year or so for all the bugs to get identified and worked out before I buy. I found HOI3 almost unplayable in its original form when I bought it a couple of years ago with the "Semper Fi" expansion and gave it a rest. Lately I decided to give it another shot and when I loaded it it upgraded to v1.04. I don't know exactly what that did, but it may have helped. I also purchased "For the Motherland" and "Their Finest Hour" and they greatly helped. I am up to early 1941 in my current playthrough and if I finish I will probably rate it as marginally playable. I would really love to have a game like this but streamlined with about 25-50% less micromanagement.

Michael

35 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Usually with something as ambitious as this I will wait a year or so for all the bugs to get identified and worked out before I buy.

That's a good policy, and I am the same, though I don't wait that long. Thing is, Paradox is awesome, and using my experience with EU IV for example, the continual improvement and refinement through free patches and paid DLC is about as good as it gets in this industry. They really are, in my opinion, one of the very best developers. And the game looks amazing.

They are shooting for a June 6th release. Check this vid. The game looks great, and is said to address most of what I didn't like about Hearts of Iron 3.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-to-release-on-d-day-june-6th-2016.913907/

I look forward to dominating the world with my Belgian-Danish- Swedish alliance :)

Only thing I don't like is that fuel isn't modeled anymore like it was before, now it is tied to production and reinforcements, so when a division recieves replacements it also gets fuel. It makes sense to a certain extent but its disappointing to see that go. They also removed the order of battles hierarchy, now you choose a leader and can put as many units as he can handle below him, no more Army, Army Group, Corps ETC.

Good point Raptor. Some things will need to be seen, or played, to get a feel for whether they are an improvement or a step back. I remember when EU IV was in it's development, the devs would state features, changes, what have you from EU III, and I thought at the time that sounds like a mistake, or I'll miss this or that. But after getting to grips with EU IV I came to feel that most everything was an improvement. It became more streamlined and intuitive, with less micromanagement (relative thing in Grand Strategy of course).  It was just a superior game, despite my fears and reluctance to lose favored or pet features I had come to rely on. I've come to trust Paradox to do things the right way, and they could take my money now for HOI 4 if they would get around to it. At the risk of entering fanboy status I think this is going to be an epic game and a big evolution from HOI 3. I guess we'll know soon enough eh?

On April 24, 2016 at 0:42 AM, 5.56 said:

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for an entry-level computer war-game. Several years ago I played a few board games, American civil war and WWII, but we really never got past a beginners level. Now I would like to pursue my interest in war games again, but this time I would like to play on-line. I was checking out a few demos and they seemed rather advanced for me, so I am looking for a beginner/learning type war game(s). I am running Windows 10. Thanks in advance and I look forward to playing with and learning from you!

Battle Academy (west front) and Battle Academy 2 (east front) are good turn based tactical games. Easy to learn yet with sufficient depth that it's going to require thought about your tactics. Also supports PBEM.