Import/Export Maps and/or OOBs.

Hi, I know the ability to import/export maps, oobs from other CM modules has been inquired about before but I've been awol for a while and wondered if there's been any movement by Battlefront on the issue.  I ask it here because altho I'd jump at the chance to buy CMFB if this ability existed, I'll likely content myself with games I already have until at some point down the road I grow bored to death of them; and that'll be a loooong time. I've, for example, created a pretty sizeable and detailed OOB for CMRT (it even has an evil former boss of mine as a Nazi captain!) that I LOVE using but I'm definitely not re-creating it for every CM module.  Mind you, I'm NOT talking about downloading maps from the repository from a game I DO NOT own and loading it into one I do own.  That'd be stealing imo. No, I'm only referring to the ability to import/export when I own BOTH games.  I'd even be open to paying an extra "license fee" or some such for the ability to do this.  I can't imagine this wouldn't be a money-maker for the devs but they must have their reasons for denying this ability. Anyway, my 2 cents. Thanks!

If you are lucky enough to have the same units in both titles, you just "convert" the map with units embedded and voila. I recently did so with a CMBN training scenario and only had to manually swap a vehicle (an early panther iirc).

Otherwise, I would use Japanzer's OOB and Formation Recorder to list the units I do use, delete them all, convert the map and manually rebuild the orbat in the other CM title.

As for marrying OOB to master map, I guess it would depend on your local laws and regulations. ;) Bad humor apart, I guess that one could create a core unit file, as described in the manual probably in chapter about campaign creation iirc but then I'm not sure what to do with it. 

18 hours ago, CMFDR said:

Out of curiosity, what unit is your sizeable and detailed OOB for CMRT about?

Oh, it's pretty much a mish-mash. Understrength this, overstrength that.  It was just for fun and to chop up for use in other scenarios. 

Thanks for input! Interesting. What do u think the time commitment would be on the hex editor for a (pretty much) non-coder?  I learned to code a bit in college but ummmmm...it was long enuf ago that well, I'd done a paper on this thing called "the internet" and when I described to people what it was they looked at me like I had 3 heads! That was ~'87. Crazy!! My kids now think I had to hand crank my Model T every morning. Ugh.

4 hours ago, Zenomorph said:

(...)What do u think the time commitment would be on the hex editor for a (pretty much) non-coder? (...)

About 5 to 10... seconds. It's just a matter of opening the file, change a bit, save and voila. ie. CMRT is 08 and CMFB is 0c iirc. Then you are lucky, or not.

On kids, my 5 year old amaze me when he's playing on PC, he navigates the menu effortless, I'm sure he had a computer tech degree at school already. :D