Anti-piracy suggestion

If you (BTS) decide to use CD-ROM checking as a way to help guard against piracy, then let me suggest that you perform this check only at the very beginning of the game. That way, people like me can listen to a music CD while playing Combat Mission.

Marko

Alternatively, I use locations in a data file to flag CD checking, with a geometric increasing "Nag" interval with an upper limit. Rules are something like this:

First execution, verify the CD is available, then tweak the value at location A in the file. This is good for the next N executions of the product where N is very small, like 2.

Second, no CD check.

Third, no CD check.

Fourth execution, verify the CD is present, then tweak value at location B. This is good for the next 2^2 executions.

Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, no CD check.

Ninth, verify CD is present, then tweak value at location C. Good for the next 2^2^2 executions.

Impose a step where you don't check anymore wherever you feel is appropriate.

Generally defeats really, really lazy copiers. Multi-location of flags makes it difficult for copiers to predict the next tweak should occur, and what value. Nag boxes also give you a chance to hawk wares, websites, etc. with out it being constant.

My 2 cents.

Guest Big Time Software

Good suggestions. We will digest them before doing up copy protection.

Marko, I think you won't want music CDs playing for this game. The sound in the game is too cool to drown out whith music. Remember also that sound is relative to distance, so the further away something is the lower the volume. This makes it nearly impossible to listen to music at the same time because no matter how soft you have the music you will miss game sounds. And let me tell you, not only is that a shame from a coolness factor, but I get a lot of useful information from the sounds. Sometimes you hear stuff your eye doesn't catch.

Steve

Guest John Maragoudakis

Fighting to music. The man wants to get killed with his walkmans on. What's the big deal about paying attention to those squeeky tank treads in the distance. I say let the man party. smile.gif

I guess I've never played a wargame where sound was so important - I usually turn the sound off! Well, if the sound is as you say, then I'll never listen to the music. Reminds me of the people I often see when I go hiking: they wear headphones in the wilderness! Aargh, the sounds they miss!

On the other hand, a generation brought up on Spielberg might be forgiven for thinking that every moment in life is accompanied by unsubtle music! smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

Reminds me of 'Odd-Ball' in Kelly's Heros!

Oddball to Kelly: "Just kickin-back, eatin' cheese and catchin' some rays man!....Hey! I just ride in them, I don't fix-em!"

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

That reminds me...

Is there ANY chance at all of having the Kelly's Heroes music on CD or does anyone know where I could get it.

All that "burning bridges behind us" stuff is fun..

Kelly's Heroes is one of my favourite movies (like no-one could have guessed that ;) ) and I'd really like to get my hands on that song. Any help much appreciated.