7.92mm vs 7.92mm AP

Hi!

Dos anybody know if soldiers and MG can fire the 7.92mm AP round or if it’s just for vehicle use? And what’s the difference in penetration? Is the AP a translation of the German designation S.m.K. - Spitzgeschoß mit Kern 

An example; Some Sd.Kfz 250 have both (7.92mm & 7.92mm AP) and use an MG42. But I’ve never seen any MG on foot or rifle squad use the AP form even if you can acquire them while on board.  I guess an vehicle should have higher capabilities against other vehicles and that’s why they have the AP variant, but IMO even an “ON FOOT” asset should sometimes gain on using them.

I have often wondered about this.   If amour piercing ammo is of no great benefit against soft targets or buildings it would not worth infantry carrying it, but perhaps was justified for vehicles that would more likely go head to head with lightly armoured vehicles.

Yes, your troops armed with weapons that use 7.92 can also use 7.92AP.  You can use the acquire command to specifically add some of that ammo to their load or you can let the automatic sharing happen. They will however use their own stocks before they start automatically picking up mags and belts from the HT. 

Does anybody knows if the AP version of 7.92mm was the golden standard aboard German vehicles and tanks or this was an special ammunition, seldom used?  That again raises the question of the different penetration qualities between the two round , maybe I'll go down to the test lab myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, Big Boss said:

Does anybody knows if the AP version of 7.92mm was the golden standard aboard German vehicles and tanks or this was an special ammunition, seldom used?  That again raises the question of the different penetration qualities between the two round , maybe I'll go down to the test lab myself.

All I know is that all of my Grenadiers take around 250-500 AP rounds when they leave the HT, and another 100 9mm rounds.  I think I have seen them go through the AP rounds first,, but then would have to test that theory... They do use the AP rounds and have definitely penetrated the tops of M8 Greyhounds, and believe it has better penetration value when in urban zones.  I make sure my MG42 crews whenever possible also take around 500 AP rounds.  I do the same thing when playing the US and UK forces.  Not sure but I had set fire to 2 US Deuce trucks in two volley.. should have made a screen shot, but the rounds seemed to have penetrated through the first truck and into the second as they were lined up on a round right behind one another.