My Favorite View

One thing I have started doing is choosing a unit that I think is going to be in the thick of it and lock on to him (tab key) and get into basically the 1st person view. This especially allows you to fill some of the tension of either springing a ambush or taking fire.

As the Germans in Riesberg I had set up a ambush up with panzerschech and smg squad by the road. Set up the ambush marker assigned it as a target and gave everybody the hide command.

Several turns into the game the Sherman started moving down the road for my ambush. so I get down with the troops, the ambush is looking good, then I notice U.S. troops advancing with the tanks on both sides. My men were brave and didn't panick, but it became a race of whether the tank would trigger the ambush or the U.S. squads would wander into my people.

The tank rolled into the killzone just as one of the U.S. squads saw my SMG squad. Fortanetly, my brave Panzerschech team rose up and fired and missed, but my SMG squad started laying down suppressive fire on the advancing americans. The second time, the Panzerscheck team made good their shot and got a mobility kill on the tank.

I was able to have them fall back to safety to a wooden house where they were burned alive when the wingman of the American tank just pummeled them in revenge.

LOL. Sounds familiar..

BTW how do people find the AI in controlling tanks ?

Most AIs have huge problems in cityfights. How do people find the tank AI in Riesberg?

BTW if its buttoned or shocked and it doesn't see your PF team then it isnt a bug it's a feature wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

So far the AI seem really good. I have attempted flanking attacks and it has reacted.

I had a Stu drive into one of my ambushes, the Bazooka team missed with its first shot, the Stu imediately started suppressing and backing up and called for smoke.

I have been really impressed how the AI keeps its attacks coordinated.

Haven't seen the confused tank dance that some games have exhibited.

Guest coolguy101

the tank AI is great. I saw an enemy tank wich my panzerfaust and 88 was locked on to. The tank laid smoke to block los to my 88 and supressed my panzerfaust team.

Playing 'Last Defense' as the Germans I had 1 StuG left and the Tiger with its main gun knocked out. There was one Hellcat left. I was assaulting the houses near the river. Tiger was on the left acting as a mobile pillbox. The StuG was also on the left of the road but was moving slowly towards the road to try and catch the remaning Hellcat across the river.

My StuG rounds the corner but before it can fire, the Hellcat reversed itself behind the house that is on the hill, turned around, and came around the other side to shoot at my Tiger. I was impressed. And those Hellcats are fast little buggers.

Ended up getting a simultaneous kill on the Hellcat with the StuG a couple of turns later.

Jason

Riesberg, October 30.

US Shermans spotted heading... in a direction.

88 gunner: Stupid sherman drivers, coming straight into my kill zone, haha.

...minutes later

88 gunner: Stupid shermans how did they get there! Uh oh, better start singing the US anthem.... please "oh say can you see..."

One 88 opened up and got two of the buggers, so the AI, instead of just driving his remaining two tanks through an obvious kill zone split them up, and had each one move to the flanks. They advanced slowly, and were eventually able to suppress the killer 88, by hitting it with HE from both sides. Arty was then called in, and low and behold, the 88 was no longer. I thought it was an excellent demonstration that this is a game engine unlike any other I've ever seen.

Now I've only played 2 full engagements so far, but I found the enemy armor to be rather hesitant in acting. On last defense as axis, I barely managed to take the town by the time the hellcats arrived. They killed ALL my armor units from long range. I parked my last Halftrack on the bridge (hoping to exploit a bug that doesnt exist anymore), and dug in. They continued to wait on the hill, and I won with a minor victory.

NOW THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN FOW, BUT I FELT CERTAIN THAT THEY HAD A SUPPERIOR FORCE.

Foobar,

There's a long Hellcat thread on exactly why Hellcats make such poor close-range support vehicles and why the AI chooses to keep them away from grenades etc.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Talk about this for tactical AI. I'm trying to take out a 88 with a bazooka team and infantry squad (who's out of C&C range BTW). My squad is pretty shaken (50% casualties and out of C&C), so I tell my bazooka team to rush the 88 across the open field. The squad AI basically "yeah, right fool", and it replots its move so that it takes advantage of the terrain to make its attack (which happens to be a flanking manuever).

I'm just sitting there thinking why didn't I think of that...duhh?