Galloping horse downfall tips

Nefron

So, I've been trying to play this scenario as Russians, without much success. I haven't been able to find any playthrough videos or discussion on the scenario. How do you guys rate this one? Any tips would be welcome. 

I've been able to get the Americans to surrender once before. The tactic consisted of rushing down the slope with pretty much everything. The US forces wasted enough Javelins on the empty MTLBs to allow the survival of two T-90s. One of them heroically broke into the town and proceeded massacring scores of US infantry and IFVs. A few TOWs missed, it's reactive armor stopped a few AT-4s etc. The US infantry counterattack caught my infantry in the flank, but they were thrown back. 

Now, I'm trying to replay this the "right" way, instead of an all out charge, and it's frustrating as hell. Let's commence with the bitching: 

It's kind of a chicken and egg problem with me: the Bradleys are tucked away in nice hull down positions, and I can get one or two with Konkurs, but the rest are proving very tricky. They are able to mow down infantry advancing down the slope with great ease, and I have trouble maneuvering my Metis teams into positions where they can fire. Besides, even that is not guaranteed to be successful, because the Bradley is magically able to spot the ATGM launch and fire at the team instantly. 

Furthermore, my Gvozdika guns are frustratingly impotent. The Bradley is completely invulnerable to my 122mm precision fires, just shrugging off a firestrike after firestrike.

Any kind of overwatch with my MTLBs and tanks is made impossible by the Javelins. 

Last but not the least, I'm only able to advance at snails pace. Methodically clearing out enemy infantry with artillery is possible, but I find myself running out of time. 

I did a ATGM overwatch on the hill to the right, Got one Bradley somehow another bradley some it and killed my ATGM team. Sometimes its as if the Bradleys are equipped with Laser warning devices. I was able to get my Forward Observer team to precision strike a bradley, Which hardly did anything to them. It is a real hard scenario, And some abnormalities like those kind of make it impossible to get through the mission without huge losses. Especially since from past experiences I'm too scared to even try flanking Bradleys as they appear to have magic eyes. Once I was able to use the MTLB with the 30 mm to take out a Bradley from the same hill point on the map. I'm not sure if there is a good way to beat this scenario.

Edited by VladimirTarasov

The hill right looking from your starting positions. with the really steep far side? 

Yeah, I tried that, and I haven't managed to get the LOS to a single parking Bradley right. I could see it perfectly from the ground level, but the team was refusing to launch on it, and making them crawl further forward just makes them eat some mortars or a Javelin. 

I would expect that 122mm precision missions would take the Bradleys out, but no luck. 

I played this as an H2H as the Americans on warrior level. Even though I was able to take out most of my opponents MLTBs with my Brads and Javs (no spoilers on the number or types of Amis), he was able to take out two of my Brads with ATGMs. I took out a bunch of his troops with harassing mortar fire and MG teams that slowly fell back. He surrendered when he felt that he couldn't complete his mission with his remaining units. Unfortunately, he didn't notice his T-90AM reinforcements before he surrendered.?

i haven't played vs the AI, so I don't know how the designer set up the Amis or the Russians, but take heart the Amis aren't really that strong. One major factor that we did notice is that although one was able to hit and force a Brad to retreat more than once, the MLTBs seem to be quite blind. The comment about "scores of infantry and IFVs" and the "counterattack" confuses me because the mission briefing contained only one reinforcement, and that was in the first 5 or 10 minutes of the battle. I'll have to play that on the AI myself.

Edited by Vet 0369
added content.

I did a ATGM overwatch on the hill to the right, Got one Bradley somehow another bradley some it and killed my ATGM team. Sometimes its as if the Bradleys are equipped with Laser warning devices.

Bradleys ARE equipped with LASER warning devices!

When starts, I sent my forces mainly to two directions, left valley and right hill. Also I sent one or two scout teams to the middle to enhance my spotting. Positioning my T-90 in the woods.  Trees sometimes can help you to absorb some javelins hitting.  When Bradleys are spotted, I ask my tank to concentrate their focus on where the Bradleys supposed to be.  If I remembered correctly, some Bradleys have APS(however you cant tell since ERA and APS versions are the same), so I try to use tank to kill them.  

BTW, I suspect US army has UAV hovering on the battlefield. I lost quite a few inf due to precision artillery strike.  So move infantry from time to time if you don't want too much casualty.

Edited by melm

This mission is difficult playing the Russians for sure, but I'd suggest playing as Melm did. Lead slowly with your recon troops (hint: that's why you have phase line objectives). When (if) they spot the Brads, bring up your ATGMs (or just someone with a LASER desiginator). Think getting the Brads to pop smoke needlessly. My opponent forced my Brads to run out of smoke, which makes it a lot easier to hit with an ATGM when you really need to. My Brads never saw what was lighting them up. Be aggressive. Maybe you can beat the Brads into position. Remember, an attacking force should have a 3-1 advantage over the defender. Anything more and I'd start getting into spoilers. Be creative and flexible.

Basically you need to find and kill the jav teams.  Then you advance the T-90s to spot and kill the Bradleys. For the rest improvise on how to kill everything else. 

The tough part is to spot the jav teams because for so long as they are on the board you cannot risk your T-90s. You can either be lucky with pre planned artillery, or advance recon teams in good vantage positions and sacrifice a couple of BMPs. 

Edited by Euri