Technical Specs

JoshK

A question for Battlefront.com, or maybe for Fionn or Martin...

I read the specs section for combat mission. I have a 233 MMX, but no 3D card. By my read, I am barely within the quidelines.

If I play CM, will it be too slow to enjoy? (I would hate to invest in a 3d card, as I have never been interested in the typical game the demands one).

Thanks in advance.

Guest Big Time Software

Josh, we'll know for sure very soon as one of our testers has a system pretty much the same as yours. It should be fast enough to enjoy, but you will most likely go out and buy a 3D card to make it look better and run smoother. If you aren't in a position to get a decent new card, ask around and you can probably find an older 4MB or 8MB card for cheap. Like under $50 or so. Even a 4MB card is better than nothing, though I personally would only take one if they were giving them away.

Steve

In an effort to allow a less wealthy individual requiring better graphics. First E-Mail can have my Diamond Viper 550 TNT card with 16 MB for $50. I think I paid $179 in October and my new Viper 770 Ultra with 32 MB really isn't that much faster. I could fetch about $20 more through E-Bay, but I want it to have a good home.

Richard Kalajian

Ok, I'm finally de-cloaking from my lurk mode to ask BTS yet another user-specific question. (Sorry, guys, but I did search this forum before asking, and my limited knowledge of 3D cards, etc. just wasn't allowing me to extrapolate what I can expect of my system.)

I have a Compaq Presario 4824 w/ Pentium II at 233Mhz; ATI 3D RAGE PRO v4.0; 32 MBytes RAM; and 6.5 Gigs on the hard drive. How's this sound?

BTW, I've been a long-time player/fan of Squad Leader, and have been following the development of this game since it's inception from the demise of CASL (and, yes, I realise CM shall be quite different from SL, as well as more realistic). This game has been what I've been dreaming about ever since the days of Squad Leader (and trying to balance about 10 of those miniature counters all in one hex w/out them falling over smile.gif), and so far, from what I've seen, will be absolutely fantastic. I wish the best for you (especially so that you come out with many add-ons, particularly the North African campaign!).

Thanks again in advance.

Mike H.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Mike, and welcome smile.gif

The card you have MIGHT work, might not. The RAGE PRO is a very old card, and came with either 2, 4, or I think 6MB of VRAM (I have a 2MB myself). The problem here is that CM requires at least a 4MB card. Check your Compaq manual and see if you can find out how much VRAM it has. Even if it has 4MB the card is dog slow compared to anything released in the last 1-2 years. There are lots of older cards floating around that are better than what you have and should be as cheap as Richard's.

Steve

I've got a Diamond Viper 550 AGP that should work fine with this game. I'll sell it for $40.00 with free shipping thrown in. Money back if not satisfied! If you're new to hardware you need to be sure you've got an

AGP slot on your motherboard. Mikeman out.