Red Hordes

db_zero

Awesome battle, but finding impossible to win. Soviets have too much. I've found that if the pre-planned smoke screen is off target it makes you life a little easier, but still can't win.

I've taken to using the editor to give myself some extra goodies-2 Tiger tanks and an extra pair of AT teams and still I'm having a difficult time.

I tried to add King Tigers, but I don;t see them in the editor.

One of the first CMRT 'big battles' I played when the game came out and had a blast. Some of the desprate German infantry actions were the basis of some of my 'Action Moments' on my channel. 

Tips that worked for me (hazy memory):

- Terrain analysis is absolutely key. Getting your forces into position quickly to cover those river crossing, particularly the one on your right is important as you can hold them for quite a while as they come over that choke point.

- The built up and forested areas are key for your defense but in some cases are also highly exposed to long range tank fire if you aren't diligent with placement. You need to be patient letting the Russians get in close and inside 'schrek and faust range.

Overall thought the scenario was a great fight and a good representation of the the sheer difficulty the German defenders must have been experiencing at this time of the war.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played this scenario a couple of times and I haven't lost it yet. I found it pretty easy to knock out the Soviet tanks coming in on the left crossing, but difficult on the right.

On the right, those guys you have in the village are gonna get blown to bits no matter what it seems. They will get overrun but will probably destroy quite a few tanks in the process, depending on how lucky they are. I didn't move anyone from their starting positions. Their purpose is to die gloriously for Das Vaterland.

On the left, the Soviet tanks are easy targets trying to ford the river. While the enemy was busy fighting over the village, I moved my Stugs inside the forest on the left flank, where the trenches are. This seemed to be the key to the whole battle. I put them in cover behind the trees near the trenches, in a way where they can overlook the crossing. The moment the enemy tanks appeared out of the trees opposite the river, the HMG teams in the trenches opened fire and forced them to button up. Buttoned-up Soviet tanks on the move are very unlikely to spot Stugs with a low silhouette in the woods before it's too late. The combined fire from the Stugs and AT gun on the left was able to wipe out the whole enemy force at that ford easily. The AT gun was knocked out, but it didn't matter. I never had my Stugs leave the woods for the whole battle. They're very effective in there, and can move around concealed back and forth, in order to counter each new threat. I'd have them pop up at the edge of the woods now and then to flank a Soviet tank or three.

Once the Soviets were done cleaning out my guys from the village on the right, they would eventually start moving in on the town in the rear. I moved most of my infantry in the area into the center of the town, inside the buildings. Any Soviet tanks that got through, or managed to slip past my Stugs on the left, were easy enough to take out. By the time they made it into town, their tanks were spread out, isolated, buttoned up, and without infantry support. And they were moving blindly into an urban area. Filled with guys with AT rockets. So they didn't last long. :D

Awesome battle, but finding impossible to win. Soviets have too much. I've found that if the pre-planned smoke screen is off target it makes you life a little easier, but still can't win.

I've taken to using the editor to give myself some extra goodies-2 Tiger tanks and an extra pair of AT teams and still I'm having a difficult time.

I tried to add King Tigers, but I don;t see them in the editor.

I had to add more AT guns and Shrek teams.
That initial smoke screen makes the first village a cake walk for the soviets