Remembrance Sunday

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Laurence Binyon’s ‘For the Fallen’

Off to the parade in a few minutes, to remember (in the tradition I was brought up in) all the dead of all wars.

Normal service (and games) will resume later.

For some reason i am only figuring it out now that in the UK you have your ceremonies on the Sunday before the 11th. Not sure how i missed that. We have outs on the 11th.

Slightly more complicated than that.  We have the full ceremonies on the nearest Sunday to the 11/11 at 11am, there are also "unofficial" ceremonies at many places and much of the country also takes a 2 minute silence at 11am on the actual 11th.

Until the mid 80's we held all the ceremonies at 1100 on the 11th of the 11th month, however the (conservative/right wing) government of the day took the decision to overturn this tradition.  It was generally felt at the time that this was due to the cost to business of thre ceremonies taking place during working hours! 

I will leave you to make your own conclusions on mine (and MANY others) opinions of this!!!!!

Apologies you are correct.  I am misremembering - on further research/questioning of friends from that time - I am blaming the government for my emplyers policy brought in in the early 1980's of NOT allowing us to hold to the 2-minute silence at work.

Damnit I hate blaming that government for something they didn't do when they did so much else.  ANyway well off-topic now.

Bye-Bye