AXIS AAR--CMPzC Campaign: The Road to Eindhoven--Dommelen Counterattack

This is the Axis AAR thread (well, DAR, actually) for the counterattack into Dommelen by Kampfgruppe Kerner, which is attempting to stop, or at least slow down, the Allied XXX Corps' thrust into and through Valkenswaard on its way to relieve the British 1st Abn at Arnhem.

I unsuccessfully tried to stop the Canadian forces led by Ian Leslie from taking Dommelen in the last battle...RL prevented me from doing an AAR for that battle.  I lost 3 AT guns, and about a platoon of Kriegsmarine infantry, while inflicting some infantry losses on the Canadians, as well as destroying 3 bren carriers and 3 Shermans (all 75mm versions).

My opponent this time is Chappy, a Canuck with whom I share an affinity for Rush, Trailer Park Boys, and the Great White North, but who does not cut me any slack when going H-2-H on the battlefield!  He absolutely destroyed my Penal Kompanie in the earlier battle for the approaches to the Dommel River.  I now have two Canadian scores to settle!

Force Review

Kampfgruppe Kerner is a typical hodge-podge of German forces scraped together from forces streaming in disorder from the Allied breakout in France, local training schools, and rear area defense and logisitic units.

After being ejected from Dommelen, Oberst Kerner (no relation, lol), with some not-so-subtle prodding from OB West and Armee Gruppe B, has decided to counterattack Dommelen, and eject those brash Canucks.  This was not an easy decision on his part; although some rather hefty reinforcements have reached the Valkenswaard area--with much better morale and equipment for a change--those forces would be extremely effective, and better used, on the defense. However, these reinforcements include some top quality Fallschirmjagers, a platoon of SdKfz 10/5-mounted  20mm flak guns, and a platoon of 4 Jadgpanthers!  The possibility of knocking the Allies on the head for once and slowing them down operationally was too much to resist.  (Did I mention the prodding from Kohlen....er, OB West?)

One problem though, which I will discuss more fully later...hey, the Packers are playing in a few hours!...is that coming from varying distances from the battlefield, my forces will arrive piecemeal, making the timing of the approach to the Line of Departure by my on map/at start truppen difficult, as well as the timing of my arty barrages, made even more difficult by the need for a smoke barrage at some point to help my poor infantry cross all that the open ground around Dommelen.

Located on the outskirts of Valkenswaard Oberst Kerner is in direct command of the following troops:

KG Kerner HQ Stab

(HQ + Three 75mm Pak 40 ATGs; 4 Jadgpanthers, several trucks and an SPW 251) [Quality, mostly Regular and Veteran, but Jadgpanthers are unknown until arrival] 

10 Ko. Fliegerhorst Abteilung 119

(HQ + 3 platoons @ ~18-20 men each, plus 2 50mm mortars)  [Quality: mostly Green]

1./FJ Flak Platoon

(HQ + 4 mobile 20mm AA; and one team each panzerschreck, sniper, lmg, scout and tank hunter) [Quality: Veteran]

FJ Pionier Schule Stab

(HQ + 3 Flamethrower and 2 HMG teams; 1 Platoon @ HQ + 4 squads of 5 men each) [Quality: Crack]

FJ Pionier Schule Kompanie 

(HQ + 2 flamethrower and one HMG teams; SPW 251 Flamethrower*;  3 platoons--2 with 2 squads, one with 4 squads--@ ~18-20 men each) [Quality: Green]

*Added bonus:  Former Demolition expert and survivor of several early battles and skirmishes, Guyver, is back and now commands the flamethrower HT!

1/FJ Abteilung Kerner 

(Unknown composition until arrival, but approximately 80 men and 2 infantry guns) [Quality: probably Veteran or Crack]

The accompanying picture shows the initial troop deployments (and first moves); the Jadgpanthers and the 1/FJ Kompanie will arrive in platoon waves with one or two Jadgs, beginning at 1105 and every 5 minutes thereafter. (Battle begins at 1100.)

Enemy assessment, terrain discussion, and battle plans to follow soon.  

Screenshot%202015-10-14%2023.10.48.png

Edited by mjkerner

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everybody enjoys this DAR and I hope mjkerner enjoys the battle.

Note: We do have real Canadian forumites playing the PBEMs...BUT the troops portrayed are the Irish Guards. Over on the CMFI forum we have troops that are 1st Canadian Infantry Division... easy to get this all confused. Shucks, we even have some real Irishmen involved!

Enemy Forces and Terrain

The Allied force should be roughly those that booted me out of Dommelen in the first place, about a company of carrier-borne infantry and 2 platoons of armor, and possibly a platoon of engineers. From intelligence gained in that battle, his armor this battle should include 2 Fireflies and 6 or 7 75mm Sherman IIIs. I have no idea how much artillery he has, but the Allies have a lot of it, and he hit me last time with a boatload of what seemed to be 25 pounders.

Although there aren't specific objectives set, operationally I'm fighting to take back the Dommelen village hex, which I assume means I need to take, at a minimum, Dommelen itself. I have to assume that Chappy's intent is to hold on to it. If so, his armor is probably in and around the village, the Farm Buildings to the southeast, and the Warehouse two fields south of the village. His infantry will likely be in the village and in (or with outposts in) the South Woods, and/or the Farm Buildings. He probably has Arty spotters in the church tower.

Defense.png

The terrain is very open and flat, with only some buildings and tree-lined roads to break up LOS.  The river runs through the map, which I have to cross to get toi the objective. There are only 3 decent crossing points, the Bridge and Fords #1 & 2, the 3rd ford is too far south.  Recon shows that there aren't any other hidden or unmarked crossing points, which means my approach is limited with little ability to pull any fancy maneuvers.

Terrain%20Labels.png

Dommelen.txt

My Plan

...is simple.  Get to and across the river with as few casualties as possible, take the south woods and get lodgement into the eastern edge of Dommelen.  Then roll through it and then turn to the south and take the Farm Buildings.  The Jadgpanthers and ATGs will support, and take out as much of his armor as possible, starting with the Fireflies!  

I have 2 FO tems in high buildings in the Residential Area, which with the open terrain, should be able to supply good intel on the location of any armor not hidden behind buildings or woods. The 10Kp/Fliegers are split with 1 & 2 platoons and the 2 50mm mortars in the RA, with 3rd platoon in the northern part of Valkenswaard at the end of Kromme Straat.  All three platoons will begin leapfrogging forward to points near the Bridge and Ford #1.  One or both of 1 and 2 platoon may opt for Ford #2 if there is an opportunity or need for a potential flank into the Farm or Warehouse areas.  If not taken out or at least distracted by my AT/Jadgs elements, though, his armor will prevent any such opportunities.  

The FJs of FJ Schule Kp.1, the support elements of 1./Flak and Kerner's HQ will also leapfrog to the bridge and ford behind the 3rd platoon/Fliegers. I will try to work my infantry over the ford and spread them out along the opposite river bank.  The plan is to then assault into the easternmost buildings of Dommelen and the eastern edge of the South Woods, under cover of smoke.  The 3 AT guns in and around the RA can fire in direct support at all those points, and hopefully I can get some of the AA wagons to assist as well. But first I need the Jadgs to work over any visible enemy armor that will threaten the assault over open fields.  The first Jadg and a platoon of the 1Kp FJ Abt. Kerner arrive at 1105, and more of each arrive every 5 minutes after that.  I should have time to work these on-map forces into position. The Jadgs will hang back and find positions to spot and engage the Shermans, and the FJ Kp will be in support of the main attack, following up through the South Woods and then into Dommelen, or directly into Dommelen, depending on circumstances.

The veteran Schule Stab platoon will hang back along the Kromme Straat and load into 2 trucks, the SPW 251, and Kubelwagon borrowed from the AT battery and KG Kerner HQ for a mad dash (covered by smoke) across the bridge if the opportunity arises or necessity requires it.

I have a lot of artillery and mortars to call on, and I will certainly be using  their smoke capabilities.  I hope I can uncover a decent concentration of enemy infantry to make a nasty barrage worth while. 

Like I said, simple!

Attack%20Plan.png

Attack%20Plan%20II.png

Minute 59

Was ist los?!?!?

The opening turn of the battle revealed the Brits in unusual positions; one armored platoon on my side of the river, moving south toward Ford #2, a couple of sections of infantry skedaddling frantically from the edge of the Kromme Straat toward Ford #1, and another armored platoon sitting on the eastern edge of Dommelen.  That didn't look like a set-up my very erstwhile opponent, Chappy, would choose.  It took me a few minutes to figure out that these units were near their ending positions in the first battle for Dommelen. Which changes everything.  He now has a force of at least 2--maybe 3--Sherman 75s and a Firefly, with some infantry sections, on my left flank that could cause havoc to my troops heading for Ford #1 and the bridge.

My plan was very general to begin with, so it will be a work-in-progress from now on, I think.  Here's the situation at the end of the turn:  Few of my troops had a bead on the infantry running to the river, nor could my AT guns actually spot any of Chappy's armor...no Britains were harmed in the making of this picture.

Was%20ist%20los.png

Minutes 58 & 57

I continue to move the 10th Kp toward the bridge/ford area, and the Schule Kp moves up Kromme Straat. Various shots are taken at the fleeing Brits but none go down.  His armor starts to crossFord #2, and those on the eastern edge of Dommelen begin pulling back to the Farm Buildings.  My AT guns still can't spot any Shermans (grrrr), so I have them area fire as close as possible to them.  Close, but not good enough, even with a Sherman sitting on top of a TRP!.

TRP%201.png

A duel ensues with 2 Shermans at the Farm.  Several near misses, but no damage to either side.

This Sherman's shell is moving at such a high velocity that it literally cuts through the smoke of my AT shell.;)

Screenshot%202015-10-19%2023.55.18.png

The Sherman then does a disappearing act just in time...this shell went just to the right and a little high.

Screenshot%202015-10-19%2023.56.54.png

Screenshot%202015-10-19%2023.57.05.png

The Sherman come close too, but ultimately no one was injured. 

dual%201.png

dual%202.png

Minutes 56-55

Shermans at the Farm pop smoke and withdraw.

shermans%20pop%20smoke%20and%20withdraw.

Shermans at Ford #2 continue to withdraw as well.

Shermans%20at%20the%20ford%20withdraw.pn

My Light mortars near the RA come under fire, but again, no one is hurt.

mortars%20under%20fire.png

mortars%20II.png

FO watches as the mortars are targeted.

FO.png

1 & 2 Platoons of 10 Kp decide to move north before turning west due to the tanks at Ford #2, then.

10th%20Kp%20moves%20right.png

10%20Kp%20changes%20direction.png

10th%20Kp.png

3rd Platoon 10 Kp move out of town toward the bridge under the watchful gun of a flakwagon.

moving%20forward%20to%20bridge.png

Elements of the FJ Schule Kp move through town, parallel to Kromme Straat.

FJ%20paralleling%20Kromme.png

Oberst Kerner heads to his mount.

Oberst%20Kerner.png

Edited by mjkerner

Minutes 55 - 54

The Last House on the Left

...of Kromme Straat had a nasty surprise for me. Despite having more then a platoon of infantry and several vehicles passing nearby, Chappy had a section of 2 Tommies successfully lying doggo in the house at the end of the street, no doubt the 3rd section from the squad that was caught there at the start.  Not only have the other 2 sections made it to the river unscathed, this hidden section managed to wipe out my Veteran sniper team!  They were nonchalantly heading to the house in question to take up positions to deal with those earlier escapees, their comrades also moving up to the vicinity of that house, when...

ambush%20I.png

ambush%20II.png

ambush%20dead.png

ambush%20III.png

Edited by mjkerner

Maybe have somebody give buddy aid and grab the sniper rifle and MP40!

Like a weak team that normally has crap. A driver or ammo bearers?

++++++++++++++++++

If Chappy isn't careful and you can steamroller him...you might kick him off even the Dommel bridge 10 point hex! WOW!

As umpire I would have to see him fully cleared of all points north of an east-west line cutting through the destroyed Dommel Brug and the small village where Penal Kompanie led Leutnant Burke defended back at Turn 1. Deelsherk? I forget the name...

Note: north of that line could be some allied troops that are basically cowering and laying low. But no significant organized resistance.

Food for thought. But a tempered defensive approach might be safer.

I still haven't caught up the AAR with with the turns...I was going to buddy aid the sniper team, then forgot! Lots of movement going on in my ever-developing plan.

I can't believe Chappy is going to run away off the board, but it doesn't look like he's going to attack, either. I noticed that his armor across the map behind the woods is turning to face me, so I figured he's going to stick around and take potshots at me. Anyway, when the rest of my Jadgs get here, I'm going for the group of armor at that destroyed bridge (should have, but didn't, recognize it as a portion of the earlier battle terrain), then those across the way.  I still haven't spotted his 2nd Firefly...I'm sure he had two at the end off the last battle. (No hints from you, lol). I figure he left some infantry at Dommelen. He had 2 platoons there at least, and I haven't spotted any moving back, although they could just be too far away or perhaps retreating behind the north-south oriented row houses.  Although it will take forever, I'm going to continue to move to and into Dommelen. 

Edited by mjkerner

I like how this is going. Very cat and mouse. I don't know exactly what he has planned but if he exits off, then that is kind of lame! :D

Long range tank sniping! Gonna be exciting. 

If your Pak40's run out of ammo or seem too vulnerable, you may exit them off. But make sure I see where they exit so we both know what hex the head off to be in for next turn. Same with Flak guns, little IG's, on map mortars, trucks, flame half track, etc.

Minutes 54 - 53

The situation has changed and I am better able to discern what the hell Chappy is up to.  (The post above I thought was on the Private Conversation site we have for the Axis Team, so you, Dear Reader, already know what I'm thinking...but ve must make formal report, in triplicate, to ze OB West, no?)

First off, for once we apparently have a strong enough force to give the Allies a real scare.  They took Dommelen with Blood and Guts, hard to imagine they would abandon it, unless there was a bigger, Op Level pay off.  That could be the chance to grab a foothold into Valkenswaard.  I'm not certain if that portion of the city that is shown on this battlefield is in the 30 point VP hex, or the 10(?) point one, but grabbing it by a coup de main would be worth giving up Dommelen.

You can see that he continues to pull his armor back, and there is a sound contact of a light armor vehicle, most likely a bren carrier, that is on my side of the river in that little burg east of the destroyed Dommel bridge. 

I thought he may be moving over to my left flank to grab a foothold in Valkenswaard, but he seems to just be sitting in place for the last few turns.  Covering for his infantry? Planning on taking potshots as opportunity arises?

light%20armor_1.png

Reinforcements Arrive!

Now we're talking! The first Jadg, a platoon of the FJ Kp, and two 75mm light infantry guns.

jadg_1.png

I decided to move the reinforcements to Valkenswaard.  They can either cover any move into it by Chappy, or withdraw off the map to be in position for the next Op move. The Jadg will move into a position to fire on the Shermans near the Dommel Bridge.

reinforcement%20movement_1.png

Edited by mjkerner

Btw, thanks for the comments, fabishd and Kohlenklau.

Minutes 55 - 53:  The plan changes on the fly

The Brits having pulled back all along the front, it appears they are either intending to pull out altogether and leave the map (unlikely), are repositioning to move against my left flank and push into Valkenswaard, or simply hunkering down with the intent  of holding the Dommel crossings at the ford near the destroyed Dommel bridge, the little village of Deelshurk east of there, and intact bridge further south. His armor has been sitting in those spots for several turns, so I assume he's intent on holding his earlier gains.  Though it would provide another axis of attack against Valkenswaard 30 point VP, the Dommelen "hex" is not really crucial for an operational victory.

For now, I am continuing to move toward Dommelen, either to attack it or merely occupy it if he has already abandoned it, and move troops into Valkenswaard.  The troops there will defend it against an attack and be in position to withdraw off the east side to be in better positions operationally for the next British assault.  Unfortunately, this involves breaking up units, like the 10th Kp, some heading for Dommelen, some staying around Vwaard.  But with the distances involved and lack of transport, I have no choice.  I am mustering all my trucks and Kubelwagons to ferry the reinforcements closer to the front, but am leery of exposing to his armor, even at long range, for fear of turning them into troop-laden coffins.

9f546c08-9242-486b-84b9-69f697189a16.png

Minutes 53 - 52

Interesting developments abound.

First, contact is finally made with the 2 sections fleeing across the river. Infantry and AA fire manage to take one guy out.

contact%20iii.png

aa%20fire%20ii.png

aa%20fire.png

Next, spotting rounds drop, two along the front of the RA, one along the Kromme Straat a turn after the first ones hit.  I can't tell just where the beaten zone will be.

spotting%20rounds_1.png

Then, my men nearing the bridge finally spot the second Firefly, sitting in Dommelen near the church, facing North.  I hadn't expected Chappy to leave a Firefly to defend the town alone (his other 4 Shermans over there have retreated way back to the other side of the woods to the South), but because he's facing North, he's obviously expecting some of my armor to come at him from that direction.  (I had a choice to have some Jadgs and parts of the FJ Kp arrive from the North, across the Dommel River.  But I didn't want my forces to be split so far apart.) I have hopes of trapping that Sherman and eliminating him, either in the town, or if he tries to pull back across the front of my AT guns and Jadgs.  

FireFly.png

the%2076.png

And finally, the one Pak not in the process of repositioning has spotted and drawn a bead on a Sherman across the way.  Stay tuned to see if there is another duel.

AT%20has%20a%20bead.png

Edited by mjkerner

Wow! Adrenaline fueled white knuckle excitement here. I am loving see you 2 guys go at it.

When are you gonna lay on some artillery? Those guys are back in the rear picking their toenails probably....

Next turn you get your nebelwerfers.....and the special "SS Panzershreck Lehr Zug".

Can I think up some real plausible BS or what? :D

edit: What do you think his spotting rounds were? Mortars or 25 pounders?

Edited by kohlenklau

Herr MjKerner,

Was is los, hier?  Are you schtill planning on zee risky maneuver of HQmjkerner rushing zee brücke covered in schmoke?

Are you suffering from zee itchy throat?  Chasing zee Knights Cross, eh?  ;)

This is all great stuff.  I'm following it, of course.  Seeing Jagdpanthers making their appearance is great.  Love those babies!

I think your adjustments are going well.  Initial plans always suffer with the first encounter.

Heinrich505

Glad you're enjoying it, guys. Good to see you here, Heinrich!

My 105s start falling near the destroyed Dommel bridge in about 6 minutes.  I've got several (3?) 81mm mortars with the FJ Abt Kerner Kp, will use them to smoke and hit Dommelen.  It will take me time, maybe 10-15 minutes to get set for my new plan, which is to try and take Deelshurk, so will need to shift the barrage to hit it as we jump off (maybe even call this strike off and re-call it).  I have 2 off-map 81mm mortars as well which I will use on Deelshurk, too.  He has, for the last few minutes at least, had those 5 Shermans across the river sitting there pointing in my direction.

Murderers%20Row.png

New general plan. More detail, plus action close ups tomorrow.

general%20plan_1.png

Edited by mjkerner

Mjkerner,

Those Shermans must have felt a great disturbance in the Force.  They are huddling in fear as the disturbance sweeps across the battlefield.  There are whispers among the Allied contingent - Hunting Panthers are coming.  Roight Mate...you thought them freaking Panthers were the bloody lot, eh?  Try taiken on tha Hunting version!!!  Bloody box of f'ing steel, they is.  Rounds just bleeding fling off 'em!!

And worse still, the bloody Cubs lost.  :(  Ach du Lieber...well, anyway, I've got a good feeling they will pull it off next year.

But nevermind that.  Those Sherman commanders are trying to keep word of the Jagdpanthers from their men.  That gets out and it is all over...

Heinrich505