Sdkfz 251/17 gun traverse

A co

The 251/17 halftrack had a 360 degree gun traverse in real life, right? So why is it represented in the game as having a very limited, forward-facing, field of fire? Is it not possible to code a 360 degree weapon traverse on a German halftrack? It's a rather sad sight when the vehicle is slowly turning to try to follow a speeding aircraft, when the turret should really just whip around to engage the target, as Flak normally does. 

Also, should this vehicle really have no loader or commander in the crew?

According to this website (which I have no idea how accurate it is): http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/SdKfz-251_Hanomag.php

Early machines had unmodified 251 Ausf C and D bodies, and the 20mm gun ahd only a 80° traverse. They were pioneered by the SS panzerdivision Grossdeutschland. But the main production type was the Luftwaffe-Flakausführung, with extended side made of folding panels. Even folded, the gun still had a 360° traverse.

Could the reason.

Not sure I'd trust the source that described Grossdeutschland as an SS unit...

It appears there is some confusion with the half track armoured variants with a mounted 2xm flak gun e.g. some with partly armoured bodies but built on a sdkfz11 chassis. The version in-game i.e. the 251/17 is built on the sdkfz chassis and is fully armoured. Also according to Jentz the turret could traverse 360 degrees. I can't mind why in game it's got limited travel. Could be a coding issue.

Edited by George MC

According to this website (which I have no idea how accurate it is): http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/SdKfz-251_Hanomag.php

Could the reason.

That is referring to some versions of the SdKfz 251 that had full flak 38 mounts.  These are often referred to as SdKfz 251/17s, but were not.  According to Jentz, they were "2 cm Flak 38 auf SPW (Sd.Kfz. 251)."

http://www.leadwarrior.com/Photos/L35015f4.jpg

The SdKfz 251/17's cannon was on simple pedestal mount with 360° traverse that did not require modification of the hull sides.

Edited by akd

Hi @A co 

There were some coding issues with the turret traversing as I hinted at in my original post, hence it's restricted arc.

It's been re-highlighted by the beta testers with BFC but, like all these things, no promises as to when/if it'll be fixed. Personally I'd like to see it fixed as I use em a lot!

Meantime I've learned to work with the restriction 'in-game' by keeping em back and ensuring they are less likely to be engaged from their side arcs.

Hi, George MC. Thanks for the info on BFC's status with this. I had used, and faced, this vehicle in the game without really noticing the field of fire, until I had to rely on it as Flak. If it ever does get fixed by BFC, I think it will turn out to be a very popular and versatile vehicle.