300 Ukrainian T-72's to be upgraded into PT-91 Twardy's

Badwolf66

Tank evolution seemed to have slowed in the 00's and early 10's but it seems to be speeding up again now with the T-14 the upcoming M1A3 Abrams and the possible French-German Leopard 3

Now Ukraine is upgrading its aging T-72's in PT-91 Twardys.

Perhaps this could be in a future module?

http://www.defence24.com/news_ukrainians-ready-to-upgrade-their-t-72-tanks-up-to-the-polish-pt-91-twardy-variant

Now Ukraine is upgrading its aging T-72's in PT-91 Twardys.

This were just talks about nothing several months ago. No such contract. All T-72, which now received UKR forces are just repaired after long time storing T-72AV, T-72B and taken from Africa's contract Ukrainian-upgraded T-72AU1. In whole since winter to this time no more 50 T-72 transfered to armed forces and National Guard. I think some of these tanks of course will be in module as on UKR as on UNCONs side (if UNCONs will be issued together with airborne/narines). 

Edited by Haiduk

Who will upgrade and with what money? Without the Russian contracts whatever is left of Ukranian defense industry is going belly up. Polish industry doesn't work for free.

So far we have KulibinWerks "volounteers" and their bizarro Mad Max creations:

http://twower.livejournal.com/1763791.html

http://twower.livejournal.com/1756214.html

http://twower.livejournal.com/1734395.html

http://twower.livejournal.com/1727388.html

http://twower.livejournal.com/1721118.html

Considering that Ukranian SSR industry was producing aircraft carriers and heavy cruisers, including completing a large chunk of a very ambitious Ulyankovsk class supercarrier, this is almost rock bottom.

Edited by Red Rage

This were just talks about nothing several months ago. No such contract. All T-72, which now received UKR forces are just repaired after long time storing T-72AV, T-72B and taken from Africa's contract Ukrainian-upgraded T-72AU1. In whole since winter to this time no more 50 T-72 transfered to armed forces and National Guard. I think some of these tanks of course will be in module as on UKR as on UNCONs side (if UNCONs will be issued together with airborne/narines). 

That's exactly right, it would make zero sense for Ukrainians to send off T-72s to be upgraded in Poland; while their own Kharkov tank plant (arguable the most respected Soviet design bureau) has a suite of their own T-72 upgrades that are at least competative with PT-91s. Besides, does PT-91 upgrade (which seems to be a fine package in its own right) apply to T-72Bs (which is what Ukrainians have)? As far as I know, it was designed for T-72A/M1 platforms that are quite different from T-72B in many ways.

I can only see it happening as some political gesture to support Polish tank makers that have not had a ton of success on foreign markets; but the Ukrainian government simply does not have the funds to pay for it. If such a contract was to occur, it would be a form of Polish welfare for their weapon makers by proxy of Ukraine…

That's exactly right, it would make zero sense for Ukrainians to send off T-72s to be upgraded in Poland; while their own Kharkov tank plant (arguable the most respected Soviet design bureau) has a suite of their own T-72 upgrades that are at least competative with PT-91s. Besides, does PT-91 upgrade (which seems to be a fine package in its own right) apply to T-72Bs (which is what Ukrainians have)? As far as I know, it was designed for T-72A/M1 platforms that are quite different from T-72B in many ways.

I can only see it happening as some political gesture to support Polish tank makers that have not had a ton of success on foreign markets; but the Ukrainian government simply does not have the funds to pay for it. If such a contract was to occur, it would be a form of Polish welfare for their weapon makers by proxy of Ukraine…

I thought the Kharkov tank plant only ever manufactured T64 and T80 tanks and their various upgrades (and post soviet rejigs like the T84). The plant actively avoided anything to do with the T72 chassis as it was a successful attempt by the Nizhny Tagil factory and attached design team to avoid making T64's and T80's.

The plants that would have experience in upgrading T72M/M1 chassis outside of Russia are the Polish firms and Martin factory in Slovakia. The difference in the T72B to A/M/M1 variants is in the much thicker laminated turret armour (plus uprated engines due to increase in weight) and upgrades to gun and fire control systems to launch ATGM's, I don't see anything theoretically stopping the Bumar Labedy factory upgrading components of the T72's B or A with Polish fire control, Thermal sights, engine and transmission upgrades.

It might be easier for Poland to just swap T72's with brand new P91E's which are further development export version of the Pendekers sold to Malaysia.

Bastables

We have tank repair plant, which specialized on T-72. It's situates in L'viv. Also some sort of works on T-72 can do big tank plant in Kyiv, but now it's mostly involved in T-64/APCs repairing and BTR-3 producing.  

Edited by Haiduk