Stryker 1/35 model build

I started this project more than a year ago. At the time, I was playing a lot of Shock Force and was thus inspired to put some aftermarket slat armor on. Well, the slat armor didn't work out (anyone who has succeeded with that, good on you). 

So, I ditched the slat and just went for the general armor-less build. I thought about putting some ERA blocks on to mimic a "Black Sea" up-armored M1126 styled variant, but couldn't find any decent kits. 

After some digging around, I found a unit that appeared to operate slat-cage-less Strykers in Afghanistan at some point in 2009, so that is what this one became a tribute to. 

After putting the finishing touches on tonight, I am pretty happy with the outcome. I am definitely still learning a lot with modeling. A few mistakes here and there, a few things I would have done differently. Thankfully all the images of Strykers in Afghanistan show these vehicles just plastered with dust and sand, so heavy weathering was helpful to hide any blemishes. 

Anyway, any critique or comments would be welcome!

fvwwnm.jpg

16gbbjs.jpg

2ugp7bb.jpg

Thanks gents. The dust is from a weathering kit from Tamiya - its actually a mixture of "sand", "light sand" and "mud". The cargo straps were included with the kit, but basically really slender strips of masking tape. 

In most walk arounds and detailed pictures I could find, the stowage baskets that run along each side have metal fixtures and loops for tiedowns and straps. This model didn't achieve that level of detail, so I had to compromise a bit and try to make attachment points as realistic as possible. 

Cool.  I've got the same weathering kit, I'm just not as adventurous in applying it.  I've actually mostly used it as a sort of layer, like I'll do legit drybrushing around the tracks with tamiya's flat earth, then some of the "mud" from the weathering kit as a sort of a semi-drybrush.  Then I used to go for a light wash to sort of mute the colors.  Doesn't look horrible, but it's like better than nothing vs quite what I want to get down.

t9w8yc.jpg

It can certainly be a nerve-wracking task to purposefully apply dirt and mud to a model that you have spent so much time carefully building and painting. 

I do a buff coat sealer once all the decals have been applied - that way I can fairly easily remedy any mistakes made going forward. I may have been generous with the dusty look this time. Pretty much every Stryker in Afghanistan (or Iraq) that I could find did not appear to get much washing in theater. 

The Bradley looks good - I see you've got the figure painted and in place. It is hard to tell, what camo pattern is painted on him? I have generally left the figures out of my models - at the 1/35 scale I am just not skilled enough to make them look believable. 

It's supposed to be ACU which was pretty bad, made me pine for WW2 tankers (pretty much khaki or dark green there) to paint.  I might have skipped the figure except for I was painting it for a friend, and it was a way to make it "modern" vs just another M2A2.  

ACU is tricky.  Even for camo patterns the older US desert was much easier.