Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How brain surgery helped Kutuzov beat Napoleon

Using the latest evidence, a team of French and Russian medical experts make the case that "incredibly modern" brain surgery performed on Kutuzov by Dr. Massot not only saved his life but set him up to beat Napoleon. I'm reasonable certain even the Napoleonic warfare grogs were unaware of this, which was publicly reported in mainstream media only today. Kutuzov was shot twice in the head (1774 and 1778) fighting the Turks, and it was the incredible skill of a French doctor who was with the Russian forces then that saved the man perhaps destined to save Russia. Kutozov's head wounds make grim reading even with today's neurosurgery!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-brain-surgery-helped-mikhail-kutuzov-russia-defeat-napoleons-army-1513392

Actual source article in JNS (Journal of Neurosurgery)

http://thejns.org/doi/full/10.3171/2015.3.FOCUS1596

Regards,

John Kettler

Ahh, so that' s why i always failed at those nasty math tests at school...i should have shot myself in the head a bit more often! It' s a bit counterintuitive that the violent and permanent destruction of large amounts brain mass leads to increased intellectual capabilities, but it makes perfect sense, doesnt it?

Dont take the mockery to personally John ;) .

Agusto, that is not unknown.. Savant Syndrome can be triggered with a brain injury:

Most people with savant syndrome were born with their ability. But Jason Padgett is believed to be the only person on the planet with his unique skill, and he didn’t receive it until he was 30. After being brutally mugged and repeatedly kicked in the head 12 years ago, Padget woke the next day to find his normal world overlaid with complex mathematical formulas. He saw them everywhere he looked, and so he began to draw the things he saw. Instead of numbers, these drawings took the form of vastly intricate fractal shapes and geometric patterns.

When neurologists scanned his brain, they found something incredible. Because part of his brain had been damaged, the brain was using other rarely used sections to compensate for the damaged part. By sheer dumb luck, the newly activated areas of his mind turned him into a mathematical genius.

Link to others

Edited by Bil Hardenberger