Hello, freebies wanted.

Hello.

Chrizwit3, has been Chrizwit and Chrizwit2 but time passes and passwords get forgotten.

2009 computer fried and died and all was lost because not a backup kind of person. Consoled self with a console and war-gaming also got forgotten.

Other day watching Youtube a tad bored, typed in Combat Mission. Bit of a revelation. Binged through ChrisNDs' Black Sea videos, followed by Krause, Ithikial and JohnsyFGM. All excellent.

Bought Black Sea. Want all the games, want to fight all the fights h2h from both sides, want to create uber videos, want to mod everything! Have got a bit excited.

War-gamed from mid 80's thru to 09, more parade ground than frontline material, were he alive the Grand Old Duke of York would find me a smidge indecisive. All being said such fights possibly wouldn't make for gripping Youtube vids.

Soooo.....erm does anyone know of any legitimate free photoshop stylee graphic packages. Have typed in photoshop and lots of free download sites turn up but don't trust them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome aboard. Avoiding those "free" versions of PS is a good idea. There are other moders that might be able to give you better recommendations - I have only ever worked with modding icons.  I use Paint.Net for basic stuff but I used Artweaver for icon work ().%C2'> A more capable app that might be worth considering is Paint Shop Pro.  It is a very capable piece of software.  I used it years ago for photo editing before I spent the big bucks on Photo Shop.

I can second IanL's recommendations. None of the free versions of photoshop are legit; Adobe doesn't give away its software with the rare exception of a mobile app of limited capability. So you risk downloading spyware.

I too used Paintshop pro for years before switching to Photoshop.

If you're on a Mac! I can recommend Pixelmator for both iPad and OSX. Not free but less than $30.00.

If you're on Windows, some swear by GIMP as a free alternative.

Edited by Bud_B

Actually it is not really.  A version with no DRM is available form Adobe but it is there for the use of legal owners since Adobe decommissioned the DRM servers.  Anyone else is not legally supposed be using it.

Here is the official Adobe announcement: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.htmland the relevant quote

Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.

Just so ya know.

I totally forgot about PhotoShop Elements - also a good lower cost but very capable option

You could try Krita. It isn't exactly like photoshop (more dedicated to digital painting, sketching etc.) but is an excellent program, would likely do everything you needed to do and is totally free. https://krita.org/features/highlights/

If you want a photoshop-like program that costs a lot less (59 euros), you could try Photoline. No link because commercial software.

And if you want to get exhaustive, there is a list of PS alternatives here under the "Paint/Image Editing/FX" heading - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1107365&highlight=adobe+production. Some are free, some not.

Apologies taking a while to reply.

Thankyou to all for your responses they were very helpful and I am now the proud owner of CS2. There is a slight tinge of guilt but it's overwridden by the desire to beat up, hopefully artfully, a T72.

Oddly having more difficulty with Paint Shop Pro. Want it for the thumbnails. So far free versions are all trials wanting me to sign up to Corel before proceding and I have read that it is no longer free. Any additional help would be much appreciated.