Question about fortifications

I was trying to justify buying some mines in a quick battle but noticed how expensive they are.  Would anybody actually buy these in a game against another person.  I mean take the vehicle mines for

example.  They cost 150 whereas you could buy two 76mm guns for only 236 and then spend 14 towards something else or 7 bazooka teams. 

I just wonder if due to the cost if they are worth it.  Why have them in the game if nobody buys them because of the price.  Looks neat having them available but why if not used.

Wouldn't it be better if they were a lower more practical cost for what you are getting.

I have to agree that they're overpriced, for almost all circumstances. Good for denying bridges to the attacker (at the cost of denying them to you). Just for clarity, the price (250/150/300 for AV, AP and mixed, respectively) is for 10 AS-worth, and you don't have to buy all 10 squares. So if you've got a bridge and two fords that vehicles can use, it might be worth the points to scatter some AV mines. Basically, if you can for sure deny an enemy a route using them (which means either covering them with other weapons or using only AV mines, since you don't want engineers marking a way through), they're worth it. That's about it for fortifications, in QBs, really.

ATGs are a bit less situational, but in a short-range map with few good sites for 'em, they're not worth the points. AT bunkers might be a good alternative, but the bunkers will draw fire, and if there's things out there that can neutralise 'em, they might not get a shot because the sneaky eyes have found them first.

Fortification prices haven't changed since they were introduced in the game. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a reduction at this stage.

I have to say that I think the defender should get a bonus budget proportional to the increase in attacker's advantage, as you move from Probe to Attack to Assault, that budget only to be spent on fortifications. At least then there'd be some... :)

I have to say that I think the defender should get a bonus budget proportional to the increase in attacker's advantage, as you move from Probe to Attack to Assault, that budget only to be spent on fortifications. At least then there'd be some... :)

Excellent idea - makes good sense to me :)

Edited by Baneman