How can I know which is the mud tile?

During one of the recent PBEM match, I already lost 3 of Abrams. It is not 'lost', but actually, they are bogged down and immobilized. They all bogged down far away from main battle field, so it is fair to say that I lost 3 tanks. One of them had no single chance to take a shot, not a single 7.62mm bullet. 2 other shoot several times, but they couldn't escape from the muds. And 4th tank is now bogged, and now I'm praying for him (I don't have religion but I'm really praying now) that please escape from there in next turn.

I'm really frustrated. Totally, out of my expectation, and all my plans are ruined. Imagine you lost 4 of your tank without battle, and imagine how it feels. :(

In Close Combat series or Wargame series, players can get a information about the terrain. Is there similar thing in the CMBS? How can I know which tile is full of mud or something like that? Or, should I need to find out the mud by graphic?

Thanks

Edited by exsonic01

There is both a mud 'tile' and a mud 'setting'.  The individual mud tiles are a specific color of dark brown on the map, and although they might not be obvious at first once you identify one you should be able to spot them pretty easily in the future.  The mud 'setting' is a universal setting that covers the entire map and so there is no way to avoid it except to try and stay on roads or something like that.  The mud setting should be shown on the initial scenario environment information which I think can be seen when you first view the scenario in the selection screen (although I don't remember for certain).

I had that same problem going way back until I started using this more distinct looking mud tile from a CMSF mod, and never have had a problem since. I use the same tile in all CM games. This one has a grid on it too that I put on it. Just put the folder in the mod folder, and you are good to go. You may need to add a few "Z"s to the folder title if you have other terrain mods to override them.

Syrope Mud.zip

Edited by Vinnart

About being able to tell ground conditions on an unfamiliar map. Go down to 'menu' in the corner right and click on 'conditions'. There you'll find the weather, the temps, ground conditions and wind direction. If the ground conditions are damp, wet or muddy beware moving vehicle cross country. Wind direction comes in handy if you're trying to lay down a smoke screen.  :)

ASL Veteran // So, the if the condition become 'damp' or worse, than the chance of bogging increase? I see. 

Jargotn // I moved those tanks slowly, but they couldn't escape from the muds

MikeyD //  Yes, I aware of those conditions, but didn't expect this much 'muddy' ground. I want to know each tile's ground condition, but it seems I need to check with visual. Thanks for the tip about smoke, but after medium wind, I think smoke scatters fast. In heavy wind condition, all smokes couldn't sustain even a single turn. 

Vinnart // It seems the mud is now looks like more gray colored sands, is this right? Thanks to share. 

The color is grayer, and less brown which makes it stand out to me. Obviously, it looks different than sand the closer to see the detail as it has a watery look. Different sand tiles have different colors too. I find no problem differentiating in tiles, but I do use a custom mod mix that uses distinctive tiles for each type of terrain. I do wish that the original mod makers would have set up their folders so one could cherry pick easier as I have done. To make a custom mix you need to put each tile type in its own folder with a unique name such as "Aris grass", "Kieme grass" ect.. Each folder should contain its mini counterpart. Then cherry pick those folders by comparing which mod tile you prefer, and put them into a custom folder you make.

Edited by Vinnart

It doesn't make much difference if you're on a mud tile or not when the ground condition is wet. Every ground type but hard and rocks is considered water-saturated and liable to bog you. I recall a story of an entire (real world) Stryker platoon getting bogged trying to cross a plowed field in Iraq. One criticism of 8x8 wheeled is once they get bogged spinning the wheels only digs 'em in deeper. What you want to keep an eye out for in-game is hard rocky ground types and try to stick to them as much as possible.