any colour blind friendly GUI's out there? passenger seat colour.

This is a variation with the dots spotting a bit lighter blue, but with a black dot inside, like for the White passengers ones:

5dtgfb.jpg

Could pretty much make the crew dots White too, since they are on the other side of the vehicle, could be a bit confusing though. Or the blue could be lighter, but int hat case it won't be much different from the White.

This is the original (vanilla) for comparison:

2aflxd1.jpg

What's your opinion?

What Offshoot said - using a filled square would make most sense to represent a filled seat. The open circles would be empties.

Other than that, it looks like a good solution ( even to a non-colour blindee like me )

I see.

The problem with the filled square is the filling itself. If it's black or dark grey it will be very hard to recognize it, because the background is of a dark color.

If it's filled with light grey it won't be much different than the White one, because the dymensions are too small.

Here is an inverted version, and the blue dots are slightly bigger and of the very same size/shape of the White ones but filled with the original blue color. (vanilla below for comparison).

2ynsbjk.jpg

2aflxd1.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

:D Blue looks better / clearer

I preferred the original uninvented white circle/dots for full seats and squares empty seats but either way round its very clear and works very well. You have the best format now. great work :) More than happy to playtest it :)

Edited by silent one

White is an excellent colour to use for contrast on a dark background :)

Yes, Silent One, the empty seats in the vanilla i/f are grey (I mention this to highlight that even within R/G colourblindness there are degrees of perceptual defecit: knowing to look, I can be certain in my own mind that the empties are grey, whereas it's evident that Silent One can't be sure).

I agree 100% that a solid square is "full" and one with a black dot in the middle is empty, especially when the background is dark: for further illustration of the issues colour deficient vision presents, I wouldn't have known the "dot in the middle" wasn't the "background colour showing through an empty shape" without being told.

While the white squares work (preferably, for my money, solid for occupied, hollow for vacant), they still depend on contrast with the background for visibility: a lighter background in a different interface would make the differences less distinct for all, not just those with non-standard spectral discenrment. Better would be to have a difference in shape between occupied and vacant seats.

Personally I have no plans to change the entire interface, I like the basic color and I'm unsure any drastic change will improve the experience.

Few tweaks such as this one could be interesting.

Anyway, concerning different shapes: the problem is that these infamous dots are 6x6, for some reason there's a 7th row left empty, so it's a 6x6 box of pixels, even at medium resolutions they are so tiny I wonder if different shapes could do anything.

an L might also look like as a half empty square. or also an empty square. I'll do a couple of variations for the "empty" dot and let you see.

Ok let's see:

Blue squares for the crew and:

V1

White squares (filled) + black dot in White circle (empty)

2ynsbjk.jpg

V2

White squares (filled) + White X (empty)

2467329.jpg

V3

White squares (filled) + White square with black inside (empty)

2rner85.jpg

V4

White squares (filled) + White L (empty)

hx2fpg.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)