Wal-Mart "toy" guitar

I only have heard it on the notebook, but I am quite sure this is fake.

The transients of the guitar have studio quality. The sound of the left hand fingers were also catched perfectly -> my guess: a setup using 2 condenser mics for the guitar.

Voices are not distant, but each voice was recorded with a close setup (consonants and breathing).

-> guitar and voices were recorded with separate mics with close mic setups in a studio.

And huge Wal Mart stores don't reverberate but sound dry like a studio... ;)

But a very clever idea. :D

I guess it's a keyframed video and the keyframe is cleverly moved away, when sync problems with the lips and fingers could become obvious.

But the real singers and the guitar player nevertheless are very good.

Edited by CarlWAW

I disagree. Listening on my desktop with decent speakers it sounds to me exactly like a toy guitar played by someone with skill and recorded on a smart phone.

But, who knows? It has generated thousands of views already on YT.

Edited by Doug Williams

Surely it does sound like a toy guitar, but like a professionally recorded one.

Can you hear how close the voices sound? Although they were recorded from far away (according to the vid) in an awfully sounding room.

From my experience it's technically not possible to catch the breathing of a voice from one meter away with such bad mics - and if a loud source like a guitar even is playing into the mic even less so. All nuances in the voice are lost, because they are way too silent compared to the sound from the guitar.

I disagree. Listening on my desktop with decent speakers it sounds to me exactly like a toy guitar played by someone with skill and recorded on a smart phone.

But, who knows? It has generated thousands of views already on YT.

He has a follow up video to compare to on a real guitar (I feel a sin coming on).  It lends credence to the walmart video being real.  and yeah he is good.

Edited by sburke

At 2:50 THAT's the sound from a smartphone mic:

youtu.be/POzyfVNuJx0?t=2m50s

Later in that video one can see the cable that the guitar is not acoustically recorded but recorded on a separate track.

That's the proove, that it's not a simple smartphone recording.

He has a powerful voice and sings dynamically. Even untrained ears should be able to hear, that the loudness is compressed. Consumer products use automatic gain control (AGC) in their audio path, to be able to capture all different kinds of amplitudes. The transient sounds of the guitar would simply vanish during the loud parts of a powerful voice, but the guitar not only is not covered, but the midrange is compressed while the transients are kept alive.

Compression is used on his voice, too.

Besides the quality of the product itself, which is indicating that standard recording techniques are used: He is a professional musician, why should he not use standard techniques but act like a layman? Musicians usually have ears.

Since everyone of you probably has a smartphone, I'd suggest you make some recordings with it while you sing and then drop something loud while you keep singing. And then tell me, if the louder signal had an impact on the less loud signal...

The myth of singing into a consumer product and becoming famous - has been a well crafted lie from the music industry. No good sound without without (semi)professional equipment and techniques. Smartphones are not. :D

Doug Wiliams,

What a tremendous musician! Many thanks for bringing her to our attention.

BLSTK,

If she doesn't have a career as a guitarist after that video, apparently, one of several, it's because she doesn't wish to have one. Simply amazing performance, both musically and visually!

Regards,

John Kettler