Favorite CM Moments

The War Stories thread is a lot of fun. Here's one to post you favorite single moments from a battle. I'll start:

In the Reisburg scenario, playing as the Germans, I had knocked out all but one Sherman. The last one parked itself in a safe spot. So I tried to sneak a Panzerschreck team around it to get a flank shot. But forgot to tell them to "sneak" -- oops, they were spotted at about 105 meters. Sherman fired coax, 'Schreck team fired back, missing widely. This continued until the 'Schreck team finally scored a lower hull hit (no real damage). Sherman's next shot was with the main gun. Another HE shot and the 'Schreck team broke and ran. Heh, bet those were some p-o'ed tankers! As a former tanker, I found this amusing.

-- Mike Zeares

So far the moment I most enjoyed would have to have been watching my bazooka take out a Stug, Tiger, and two HT's within 3 minutes in the small patch of trees by the road in last defense. I was on the edge of my seat, screaming at them to reload quickly. Then I saw the Tiger slowly rotate its turret to them, but it was too late, the Tiger took it in the flank and was abandoned.

OK. The city was about four hexes away and I had my artillery 5 hexes away so that it could just hit the city and then I used my 3D Tiger Hex unit and my Two 3D StugIII Units and moved them three hexes to the edge of the city. Well it was like wham bam wow, and like I took the city with an armored onslaught.... Oh wait, what am I talking about, that's not Combat Mission, that's from one of those old hex-based games... I'm sorry.

Actually, every moment is a great moment. I think my favorite Combat Mission moment was from someone elses game. It was a Panther getting knocked out by an airborne attack.

Ricahrd Kalajian

Best moment was a failed ambush come good.

First ever game and I wasn't too bright with the HIDE command. Basically my ambush was set-up with everybody peering out of the window. Anyway, Stugs, Tiger and MGs open up pinning everybody down. Gradually they get

worn down.

To make matters worse mortar fire starts coming down.

I've got an HQ unit and a Bazooka team in a house that has got a 3% chance on a Stug

(is that REALLY 3%? They tend to hit quite a bit). Anyway, the bazooka team was shaken and the HQ pinned.

The Stug advances and, as I watch the reply, the Bazooka 'man' stands up and aims at the Stug...

Brilliant I thought.

Then KABOOOMMM the house explodes and catches fire.

Bollocks... However, out of the fire comes a little black square and knocks out the Stug. Brave chap.

MG fire, mortar fire, shelling from the Tiger and then the bloody house blows up YET STILL he does the job.

Please, BTS, give me a way of giving that bloke a medal. At least a summary at the end to mention him in dispatches.

Greatest moment would have to be when my hidden Zoka team popped up to shot a passing Tiger. I remember thinking to myself "here comes the Tiger. O yes he is getting up. YES he fires! OH NO! Round hits side turret for no damage. OH G*D he is turning his gun towards me. Shoot again Shoot again you slow b*st*rd. He shoots a second shot. Hits Tiger in lower (rear? side? hull) Knocks it out; crew abandons tank. YES! YES! YESSSSSSSS!"

Most Deserving of a Medal Goes to my HVY SMG squad. They were in the Forward most house in the Riesberg Scenario. Over the course of the battle they kill 28 Men!

------------------

"Armchair Generals never lose any men"-Darstand

Countless favorite moments, but one of the most recent ones is a squad, reduced to one man, armed with a BAR! That guy simply never gave up, fought off two enemy squads and KOd a halftrack with a handgrenade! AND he survived the scenario! Brave dude, give him a Congressional or something!

One of the coolest things I've seen so far is just in the last couple of turns in my current PBEM game (sorry, Mattias!). I've seen on several occasions already where a mortar might get a direct hit on an armored vehicle and knock it out, but usually you get the label floating over it saying, "Top Hit Penetration" or something like that.

Well, in this Last Defense scenario as the Americans, one of my 60mm mortars took out a German halftrack in scattered tree with a treeburst. I replayed this several times to make sure, and there it was: almost directly over the track a treeburst blossomed and the next thing you know, that track was abandoned and the survivors were scrambling!

I think it's fantastic that these open-topped vehicles are being simulated so well. I can just imagine the hail of metal and wood fragments whirling in through that open vehicle and maiming the crew and passengers. Too brutal!

But, in the game, too cool!

Dar

Here's mine... Last Defense as US. I deploy one platoon + bazooka up by the wall, remaining units take cover in the town. The halftracks, a StuG, and the Tiger are advancing up the road, almost to the "ambush" marker I set. One of my mortars decides to shoot. I'm screaming at him, "What the **** do you think you're doing, you ****ing fool?!? I'm going to shove that thing up your *** and fire it!!!" (Out loud - startled my roomates a good bit ;) But then his 2nd round kills the lead halftrack! All the vehicles go into a major traffic jam, and the AI, wonderfully enough, sees all this vulnerable armor about 10m from my ambush, and says "Go." Bazooka pops up... nails the Tiger with one shot, an HT with the second, and the StuG with the fourth! Meanwhile, my squads, with MG support from the town, mow down an entire platoon and the 1 crew that survived its vehicle's destruction(the Tiger's, I think). Then, job complete, I run them back to town - having sustained ONE casualty. This was incredibly lucky, I am sure - but it was REALLY cool, and demonstrated the ability of the TacAI. Must have watched the replay 20 times from different first-person views on both sides (I LOVE that feature). I still kept my promise to the mortarman about what I'd do with his mortar, though.

[This message has been edited by Beamup (edited 11-04-99).]

[This message has been edited by Beamup (edited 11-04-99).]

Favorite moment... Playing Reis as americans sometime around turn 15 or so the defence is collapsing and german units are abandoning their positions to fall back but I've still got 4 shermans pouring in direct fire as well as a 105 artillery barrage coming in. By this time 3 of the 2 story buildings had already collapsed as well as several of the smaller ones. It was just a beautiful turn to watch, all the pretty explosions and tracer fire with german units quiuckly going from 3 men to 2 to 1 then poof gone in moments smile.gif