Viable West first strategy? Think tank & Discussion

Hey everyone. 

I've been hotseating the first year of the call to arms 1914 scenario a dozen times or so this past week, trying to find a viable "west first" variant strategy.

What is a "west first" strategy?

A "west first" strategy would involve focusing the strength of the Germans to attempt to cripple or knock out at least one of the western

powers While maintaining a smaller defensive posture in the east. Ideally, this strategy should aim to reach this goal by 1916 or 1917 at the latest, to then turn attention firmly towards the Russians. 

Attempts so far

So far I've made several attempts to tackle france directly without going through Belgium, the theory being that Frances lack of initial funds will allow mutual attrition to hit that much harder on the French and cause enough temporary "strength tilt" to allow real gains. Despite horrendous losses however, such gains seem impossible to make. I've made these attempts supported by artillery, both in the south salient around Mulhausen and near Verdun. Verdun cannot be taken, Nancy can, but the losses are untenable. 

Another attempt has been the historical route through belgium to outflank, this has also failed. 

I've looked into crippling the Brits by sinking the British fleet and confining them to the British Isles, thereby weakening the French enough to topple them. Unfortunately this seems to hinge on gross mismanagement and bad play from the British, and cannot be relied upon as a strategy (any strategy that relies on your opponent playing badly is not a good strategy).

Suggestions?

So, I thought I would ask the community for input and discuss alternatives. It would be nice to create a viable alternative for the old-samey "dont do much in the west, ahistorically place everything possible east as early as possible for the possible win". 

Game on! :)

I have an off-the cuff theory here, which may be wrong but might be worth a try!

How about beating up the French in the Nancy area and holding your position there (whether or not you take the city depends on local factors, think of the German idea behind the Verdun offensive, rather than what they actually did).

Then build up forces for a swift advance into Belgium in 1915.

This will enable you to gobble up Belgium and Lille's mine producing areas, increasing your income while reducing France's and forcing them to react in the north, possibly weakening their line in the south.

Bill

I've also explored this and I'm not really sure it's all that viable, although I'd love to be proven wrong. I think this scenario does have a lot of flexibility and no two run-throughs will be the same, but I agree that the broad 'east first' philosophy seems to prevail above all else.

The best way to kick things off if you are attempting it though, in my opinion, is to place your early reinforcements all around Belfort. It's possible to place your artillery within striking range in the deployment phase, and in the first turn it's easy enough to take the fortress. From there you have a nice little splinter in the French side to waggle around, and after a few turns you can really wrench it open. (Interestingly it is also possible to do this with Verdun, but it relies on exceptional luck from the artillery)

The other thing I'd do, although I haven't tested this as much, is to try and draw out the British fleet into a major naval battle as early as possible. You will almost certainly lose- the British fleet is flatly superior, although not by much. However, in this west-first scenario you're going for a quick 'KO' and the detrimental NM impact of losing your fleet should hopefully be balanced out, and then some, by knocking out 80%+ of the British warships and preventing them from being able to put in place much, if any of a north Sea blockade.

Seeing as this strategy involves attacking the south of the French line, I wouldn't bother with an invasion of Belgium initially. Rather, I'd wait until I had Belgium surrounded on both sides (some time in 1915) and then attack so that you can destroy all the troops in one swoop. This will also buy you a few extra turns without the Brits in the war.

Hi there,

interesting thoughts. I think, the only way is to start around Belfort and taking the fortress in the first turn, as Will described. And from there on rolling the French front from east to west. I belive, when doing this way, it would be the best, not do declare war on Belgium and to leave Britains out of war for some more turns. The losses while rolling the front will be high and all French reinforcements come here, but French even are short in MPP in beginning. Maybe with some luck you will have a Chance to be succesfull. Austria will have to bring it's second army to galicia to help Germans in the east and of cause, it is an "all in" beginning: With a failure in the west, the game will probably be lost in end 1914...

Good thoughts so far! In essence;

Pressure the south with the aid of the starting artillery, the aim is the nancy or Belfort areas, and the ultimate aim is to reach a favorable starting position for a "real" offensive in 1915, capturing nancy or belfort are good bonuses. Alternatively, go all out and hope for the best in the attrition war. 

Build up for an offensive in 1915 that aims to go through Belgium and take advantage of the southern position.

- What would you guys suggest building and researching? 1/2 Chits in Shell tech, Industry/production, entrenchment? 

Meanwhile, attack the British fleet when it enters the war, hoping to isolate smaller parts. Ultimately, this is to prevent the establishment of a full blockade.

I've been thinking about this some more, as my preferred strategy is still for a limited Invasion of Flanders to start with, followed by turning on Russia.

This is a bit like what happened in real life, except without a mindless rush into France leading to a Battle of the Marne, as my Germans won't overextend themselves. The idea being simply to grab the Belgian and French mines in the north, Lille and Brussels too, and then dig in.

Excess forces can then be transferred to the east for an offensive into Poland and Russia from late 1914 onwards.

This does mean invading Belgium and therefore the UK will be in the war from the start, but it does avoid allowing France and Britain to build up their forces and incomes for a harder slog later on, while the occupied resources in Belgium and France will go a long way to replacing losses on the Western Front (upto 56 MPPs a turn) while depriving France of at least 30 MPPs a turn.

Bill

Yes, they are all good research areas, and Infantry Warfare will also prove very useful.

- What would you guys suggest building and researching? 1/2 Chits in Shell tech, Industry/production, entrenchment?