Am still interested in what the announcer said at beginning of Victory Parade

VasFURY,

With the original thread locked, I want to be sure you know  my interest remains in that translation of the provocative remarks made by the announcer at the beginning of the Victory Parade. I look forward to seeing what insights your translation, made, of course, in your, "copious spare time," provides. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Ah yes, sorry John, completely slipped my mind to do that! Give me until wednesday next week (im travelling on business over this weekend and probably wont have internet access), but i will definitely rewatch and transcript exactly how the comments were said about the neighbours.

Hey John, i decided to go over the parade straight after posting the above, and what's weird, I just watched the entire parade (with fast skipping of some of the marching scenes) video from Youtube (the one which is 1:26:00 long, with RT logo), and I didnt hear once anything being said about the neighbours (aside from praise for their valour in WW2 during Putin's speech). Now, I am sure i remember that there were comments made when I was watching the parade on Channel 1 russia, during the live stream. It must have been something said by the journalists commentating on the parade - not the official announcer.

I saw that there's almost a 3 hour video of the parade on youtube, with the channel 1 logo, so maybe that is where those phrases/comments will be found. Will revert later accordingly!

VasFURY,

Thanks! My Russian is practically nil, but what I believe was referred to begins around 3:00, shortly after come a series of recognizable even to me country names, which over and over again correspond with those no longer part of Russia. And there is no doubt whatsoever it's the official announcer doing the talking.

Regards,

John Kettler

My Russian is very rusty, but this is what I heard: "WELCOME to the great parade celebrating our nation's victory over the fascist Hitlerites 70 years ago! Let us all thank Comrade Putin for his leadership! Stay behind the lines for your own safety. Any lost children can be reclaimed behind the borscht concession stand! Good! All the men you see are typical of the men in our forces. No special training has occurred. This is standard discipline! Let us thank Comrade Putin for this!" And more like that. :)

Edited to add: I would be remiss to not remark on how well those men held their formations while marching. Having been in countless parades myself, it is not easy. The overhead shots showed them to seem like solid blocks. No snarkiness: they deserve kudos for their appearance, effort, and professionalism in conducting this celebratory victory march. The seamless integration of different vehicle/personnel streams from just outside the square was likewise impressive. It was very well done.

Edited by c3k

c3k,

You never fail to amuse! Their marching (which looks to be heel busting) is simply tremendous, likewise their shaves, and I don't mind telling you such displays during the Cold War were both exhilarating and terrifying. It was a great opportunity to see all kinds of goodies, but the simple human tendency to project, in the sense that one thing seen becomes true for all such, was deeply disturbing, yet this was merely the effect it had on the spooks and defense analysts. Goodness knows what it did to people who had no frame of reference at all. I will say that every time I see some amazing thing done by the Russian military and shown on video I have to pointedly remind myself what I'm seeing, barring strong evidence to the contrary, represents the upper bound of what's doable on their end--and that only under extreme planning and after considerable rehearsal. Suvorov's dissection in his The "Liberators" of the work-up to the gigantic  "peep show"Operation Dneiper was meticulous and brutal. Easy to look good when you know a priori what your target will be, where it will be, and when! Until something unplanned happens! 

After the SU imploded, the West got a look at some of the SU's war plans. The one for invading Iran was simply phenomenal for its level of detail, right down to the exact fields of fire for the MGs in the Iranian border guard posts, for which precise personnel counts and morale assessments were included. Since the plans were constantly updated as the latest intel arrived, the one seen even mentioned the CO of one post was sick at home! Russians excel in the set piece battle, to such a level I think had they been running Operation Super Charge, they would've made Montgomery blush for inadequate planning shame. Since a military parade, particularly one showcasing Russian might to the people and the world, is all about planning, this very much plays to the Russian strong suit. Now, if the Romans legions were still around... Those guys really knew how to hold a military parade!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler