newbie question

Just bought the game last week and it is great game.  However I am new to the system and I have a few questions.  Hope someone here can help.

1.  I am playing using the wego system.  At the start of a particular turn some of my troops are in the vehicle.  Can I move the troops to leave the vehicle before the vehicle start to move?  I try it many times and it is always the vehicle moves first then the troops start to disembark.  I do not want to use two turns to do both action in the correct order.  Can it be done?

2.  I am playing the hold the line scenario and I see one of the vehicle had like just 3 passenger space.  But in it there is some AT weapons I would like to grab.  However my squad cannot get in to Acquire cos the size of my squad is too large.  I split my squad but is still 4 people each so still cannot get in the vehicle to acquire the weapon.  So how to do it?

3.  I had a played a night scenario (I believe is the second one that I have to go through some trees side a rive on the left and then attack three AA vehicles).  Some of my troops had line of sight to one of the AA vehicles and I tried to order them to attack it when during command phase.  But they do not attack and just prone without doing anything.  Can anyone tell me why?  Is it because they prone and then lost LOS?  How can I force them to stand up and attack then?  At the end I had to force them to use assault order movement to attack.  But in face I rather want them to stay without much movement and attack.

Thanks for the help.  Also I want to point out the tutorials in youtube is great to help me learn the game.  Great thanks for that!    

Hi there and welcome to Combat Mission and the Battlefront Forums!

I can answer questions 1 and 2.

1) Before giving a vehicle any movement orders, press DISMOUNT. Then give the vehicle move orders. This will result in the vehicle remaining stationary until the unit disembarks, then it will carry out the move order.

Note that you can also give the infantry unit a move order too, so that it doesn't only disembark but will go where to tell it to, and the vehicle will merrily go its way once they leave it.

2) Instead of split squad, (which tends to split the squad in larger halves), try using the Scout team command in the same menu, it will split off 2 men, which should be able to get aboard the three free spaces on the vehicle.

I'm sure someone else can answer your third question shortly. :)

Edited by Bud_B

1) Before giving a vehicle any movement orders, press DISMOUNT. <snip>

Just be careful of two things: a) make sure you have the passengers selected when you issue the dismount command - you can also get the crew to leave their vehicle but that is not what you want in this case.   B) the vehicle the passengers are riding in must have no movement orders otherwise the dismount command will be disabled.

2) Instead of split squad, (which tends to split the squad in larger halves), try using the Scout team command<snip>

And BTW your squad can get back together by giving bot the scouts and the remaining squad a move order to the same location. Once they both get there they will form back up as a full squad.

As for question 3) yeah that is exactly what is happening.  When they are walking they can see the AAA vehicles and when they go prone they can no longer see them. You can try giving them move orders for a short distance and see if they engage the targets on their own.  Or you can try this idea I just came up with and have never tried: give the Javelin team a 45s pause followed by a move order long enough that they will not finish it before the turn is up.  That should have them standing when the turn ends at which point you can cancel their move order and give them a target order on the AAA vehicle.

I have played that scenario many times and they will engage the targets on their own eventually.

Just be careful of two things: a) make sure you have the passengers selected when you issue the dismount command - you can also get the crew to leave their vehicle but that is not what you want in this case.   B) the vehicle the passengers are riding in must have no movement orders otherwise the dismount command will be disabled.

To your points, Ian,

A) my experience is that you can hit dismount on the vehicle, and it will dismount the infantry only. You need to hit Bail to get the crew to abandon ship. However, if you have a truck with several units on it, you can selectively dismount particular units by selecting them and hitting dismount. Do it on the truck and all passengers would get off.

You could also give the vehicle a pause of five seconds+, and give it a way point to where you want it to go, while also giving the passengers a movement waypoint like "quick".

Mord.

To your points, Ian,

A) my experience is that you can hit dismount on the vehicle, and it will dismount the infantry only. You need to hit Bail to get the crew to abandon ship. However, if you have a truck with several units on it, you can selectively dismount particular units by selecting them and hitting dismount. Do it on the truck and all passengers would get off.

Depends on the vehicle. If it has an active "Bail" command available, then yes, you can dismount all passengers and not the crew by hitting "dismount". Some vehicles don't require a "Bail" command though. I think you could generalise as far as saying "any vehicle that can be driven by whatever unit is in it" (jeeps/kubels in the WW2 titles, don't know the specifics of BS, maybe HMMWV/Tigra) doesn't have a "Bail" command, and using "Dismount" with the vehicle selected (and no move orders on the vehicle) will drop passenger and driver elements both. Trucks certainly have Bail commands, and your specific example is valid.

You could also give the vehicle a pause of five seconds+, and give it a way point to where you want it to go, while also giving the passengers a movement waypoint like "quick".

Mord.

That doesn't work. Unless you dismount the passengers first, before you've given the vehicle the waypoint. The vehicle will wait for the "dismounting" animation even if you do assign it a movement order (has to be done after the passengers have been given the dismount orders).

It's important to note that "Dismount" (and "Bail") are un-cancellable. If you err when hitting the command, you either have to reload a save where you've not done that yet, or wait til the next opportunity to give orders (orders phase in WeGo, whenever you like in RealTime) to remount them. There is also no visual cue that they are/have dismounted, during an orders phase other than the setup phase, only the fact that the Dismount command is now inactive, even if their ride hasn't got any movement orders.

Depends on the vehicle. If it has an active "Bail" command available, then yes, you can dismount all passengers and not the crew by hitting "dismount". Some vehicles don't require a "Bail" command though. I think you could generalise as far as saying "any vehicle that can be driven by whatever unit is in it" (jeeps/kubels in the WW2 titles, don't know the specifics of BS, maybe HMMWV/Tigra) doesn't have a "Bail" command, and using "Dismount" with the vehicle selected (and no move orders on the vehicle) will drop passenger and driver elements both. Trucks certainly have Bail commands, and your specific example is valid.

Thanks, Womble! That's really great info, I learned something new too!

Edited by Bud_B

the vehicle the passengers are riding in must have no movement orders otherwise the dismount command will be disabled.

Just to verify about this point.  Because what I actually want to do "within one command phase" is: 

1. The vehicle dismount one particular troop.

2. The troop will immediately start moving to a particular location, for example, to hide in a building.

3. When point 2 is happening, the vehicle move to another location.

In short I plan to dismount and then give movement order to my infantry in the same command phase.  I do not want to leave my troop in open ground for a turn.

Any thanks for all the helps! 

Edited by proflui

Just to verify about this point.  Because what I actually want to do "within one command phase" is: 

1. The vehicle dismount one particular troop.

2. The troop will immediately start moving to a particular location, for example, to hide in a building.

3. When point 2 is happening, the vehicle move to another location.

In short I plan to dismount and then give movement order to my infantry in the same command phase.  I do not want to leave my troop in open ground for a turn.

Any thanks for all the helps! 

That is entirely doable.

1. Make sure the vehicle has no movement order.
  2. Select the element you wish to disembark. For safety's sake, make sure it doesn't have a movement order.
  3. Press the "Dismount" command.
  4. Give the vehicle a movement order (as many waypoints as you like). No need for Pauses
  5. Give the now-dismounted element a movement order (as many waypoints as you like).

When you set the game going again (unpausing a realtime game, or hitting the Big Red Button in a WeGo game) the vehicle will hold position while the element dismounts, then each will go their separate ways.

Edited by womble

Thanks Womble.

New question regarding to scenario Brutal.  In the scenario I cannot find the ammo dump.  I went to youtube and check out some AAR and I clearly see the ammo dump near a HQ around some grass / broken woods area but there is no where to be find in my game.  Is this a bug?