How to go on offensive with laser detectors

Rayak47

Took the offensive with my M1's in the demo scenario and when they topped a rise they all popped smoke and ran away as soon as they detected a laser. Kind of makes it hard to mount an attack. Is there a work around?

Ran into the same thing scooting with the Bradley's; took chance they was no time to acquire and fire at them for the short time they'd be exposed on the route but nope, soon as a laser from the sole atom they (I) knew was there lit 'em up they popped smoke and scattered all over the place. Annoying...

Pause command negates the evasion from laser detection. Vehicles will still launch smoke but they will hold position. It is very handy when using asp vehicles against laser designated ATGMs. In most other situations, being lased means that you are seconds away from death and evasion is only sane thing to do. 

Well if they did not do that then your post would have been about how it was crazy that your M1s did not take evasive action when they knew they were about to get killed :)

OK with that out of the way here are a couple of suggestions.

Say thank goodness they are all OK now let's think about how to approach the objective another way or through better cover or with infantry leading the way so we know what is there. Here is the thing, if they spot the enemy and start the engagement cycle they will compete it before popping smoke. So if you get them into a place where they can spot first you will do better.

Give them fast move orders over the crest some distance. If they have fast move orders they assume you are leading them to a safe location and that popping smoke is the wrong thing to do. But choose option one - don't lie to your men :)

Of course their's a chance they're about to get nailed. But to take one example of offense, how do your think Normandy would have gone for the allies if everyone popped smoke and ran back to the boats because someone aimed at them, which is what lasing essentially is?

It sounds cold but to win at war everybody just can't pop smoke and run away because somebody is shooting at them let alone just aiming at them. You can't even do bounding overwatch if the guy your overwatching pops smoke and blocks your vision.

Anyway it would be nice to have an override to tell 'em sorry you are going over the hill and you are going to rely on your armor, active defense, and superior numbers, and keep moving forward. That's what Patton and Zhukov would want! But, I guess that would be hard to model. So I've got to adapt to how they are going to react in the game and overcome!

Of course their's a chance they're about to get nailed. But to take one example of offense, how do your think Normandy would have gone for the allies if everyone popped smoke and ran back to the boats because someone aimed at them, which is what lasing essentially is?

It sounds cold but to win at war everybody just can't pop smoke and run away because somebody is shooting at them let alone just aiming at them. You can't even do bounding overwatch if the guy your overwatching pops smoke and blocks your vision.

Anyway it would be nice to have an override to tell 'em sorry you are going over the hill and you are going to rely on your armor, active defense, and superior numbers, and keep moving forward. That's what Patton and Zhukov would want! But, I guess that would be hard to model. So I've got to adapt to how they are going to react in the game and overcome!

Well yes, there is the way to do it. You need to use fast move command and if you want your tanks to stop and hold position even if lased, set a pause command at the end of those fast way points.

Well yes, there is the way to do it. You need to use fast move command and if you want your tanks to stop and hold position even if lased, set a pause command at the end of those fast way points.

Just mind - in the demo scenario there is a lot of stuff that can lase you and most of it is capable of Koing a M1 or BIFV - so if your armour is going to stop in the middle of some ground then you'd better be sure it can find and kill whatever is lasing it first :)

Hey George, don't get me wrong I love the demo and scenario! I ended up with a total victory. I just had to regroup, and use a different strategy. Luckily the scenario gave me time. Also, despite my griping, the reaction to lasing definitely helps with the scouts who "smoke out" unseen threats, like ATGM teams, and live to mark the ATGMs for artillery strikes and keep on scouting.

The demo definitely made me want to get the game, soon as I finish up all WWII campaigns! Great feel for modern warfare, and weapon systems.

Now it's time for "a wee cheeky one" from your native land!

Hey George, don't get me wrong I love the demo and scenario! I ended up with a total victory. I just had to regroup, and use a different strategy. Luckily the scenario gave me time. Also, despite my griping, the reaction to lasing definitely helps with the scouts who "smoke out" unseen threats, like ATGM teams, and live to mark the ATGMs for artillery strikes and keep on scouting.

The demo definitely made me want to get the game, soon as I finish up all WWII campaigns! Great feel for modern warfare, and weapon systems.

Now it's time for "a wee cheeky one" from your native land!

Hi Rayak47 - hey no worries. I wasn't taking your comments in any other way than you intended :) Yeah the lasing thing - at first - can be a pain - until you realise it keeps your tanks alive, then you just have to find tactics to a/ keep your tanks alive b/ keep em moving and engaging. Sounds like you did that just fine :)

Glad the demo did it's job though. Excellent! A wee cheeky one eh? Bit early for me - but I'll raise my coffee. Slainte!