Disembarking frustration

vincere

Seems like the Tac AI took a step back with disembarking.

I used to be able to pause a vehicle for 30 or 45 second while the guys disembark and then get the vehicle moving again before end turn. Just had a long run of whenever trying this the troops stay inside the vehicle for 30-45 secs despite quick orders out.

Anybody else notice this??

It's never been this way. You can get em to embark onto a paused vehicle (assuming you let the vehicle sit idle for long enough for the guys to hop on), but it's never been the other way round. Since CMSF.

In fact there is a whole thread on how best to get your guys to dismount.

BTW assuming you are playing turn based it has to be at the end of a movement order, not a paused one at that e.g. plot vehicle waypoint to destination i.e. where you want your guys to hop out. If you don't want it sitting about for the whole turn after the guys dismount then pause the vehicle at the start so it arrives at it's destination just at the end of the turn, and with enough time your guys start hopping out.

Seems like the Tac AI took a step back with disembarking.

I used to be able to pause a vehicle for 30 or 45 second while the guys disembark and then get the vehicle moving again before end turn. Just had a long run of whenever trying this the troops stay inside the vehicle for 30-45 secs despite quick orders out.

Anybody else notice this??

No you didn't. Or if you did, you were playing a different and unique version of the game. I suspect it's your recollection that's failed you there... Troops have always only disembarked when their ride has no movement orders pending. They have never started executing their own movement orders just because their transport has paused for a few seconds. You'll realise if you take a step back and think, that the TacAI puts Pause orders in when vehicles hit logjams of other vehicles: how irritated would you be if all your troops leapt out their vehicles the first time there was a bit of a traffic jam? You'll also realise that the logic has to be this way to allow you to put deliberate Pauses in the vehicle's movement, whether that's to manage traffic flow yourself, or to allow the vehicle to fire its weapon from a stationary platform, without the transportees getting out and starting to footslog to their destination far too early. It's just a consequence of WeGo that sometimes vehicles have to hang around for longer than strictly necessary for their passengers to disembark; we just have to learn to mitigate it (by having the vehicles arrive at the place the infantry need to debus near the end of a turn, say, or simply not having the vehicle's safety be dependent on getting out of Dodge quickly.

No you didn't. Or if you did, you were playing a different and unique version of the game. I suspect it's your recollection that's failed you there... Troops have always only disembarked when their ride has no movement orders pending. They have never started executing their own movement orders just because their transport has paused for a few seconds. You'll realise if you take a step back and think, that the TacAI puts Pause orders in when vehicles hit logjams of other vehicles: how irritated would you be if all your troops leapt out their vehicles the first time there was a bit of a traffic jam? You'll also realise that the logic has to be this way to allow you to put deliberate Pauses in the vehicle's movement, whether that's to manage traffic flow yourself, or to allow the vehicle to fire its weapon from a stationary platform, without the transportees getting out and starting to footslog to their destination far too early. It's just a consequence of WeGo that sometimes vehicles have to hang around for longer than strictly necessary for their passengers to disembark; we just have to learn to mitigate it (by having the vehicles arrive at the place the infantry need to debus near the end of a turn, say, or simply not having the vehicle's safety be dependent on getting out of Dodge quickly.

It's never been this way. You can get em to embark onto a paused vehicle (assuming you let the vehicle sit idle for long enough for the guys to hop on), but it's never been the other way round. Since CMSF.

In fact there is a whole thread on how best to get your guys to dismount.

BTW assuming you are playing turn based it has to be at the end of a movement order, not a paused one at that e.g. plot vehicle waypoint to destination i.e. where you want your guys to hop out. If you don't want it sitting about for the whole turn after the guys dismount then pause the vehicle at the start so it arrives at it's destination just at the end of the turn, and with enough time your guys start hopping out.

Ahhh, thanks Guys! Really appreciated- at least I can correct the issue. Yeah, must be bad memory after a lay-off.

And, yes I see the logic with the traffic jam pauses.

At the moment I'm playing all infantry battle with 3 trucks and 3 UAZ's so really don't want to leave them taking fire- but need them for mobility especially as contact quickly developed into a Russian Company+ having fire supremacy on one of my Ukrainian platoons. :rolleyes:

Wait, there is one other way to do it. You can have them disembark before the vehicle moves.

With no movement orders you can select the passengers (not the vehicle) and give them a dismount command. Then you can give orders to both the passengers and their vehicle. The vehicle will wait for the passengers to disembark and then both will go on their merry way.

Wait, there is one other way to do it. You can have them disembark before the vehicle moves.

With no movement orders you can select the passengers (not the vehicle) and give them a dismount command. Then you can give orders to both the passengers and their vehicle. The vehicle will wait for the passengers to disembark and then both will go on their merry way.

Ian, how can I do this chain of actions in the 1 min turn? I mean, I still dunno how to do "move vehicle -> disembark boys -> move the vehicle and boys " in the 1 min turn based order. 'Pause' didn't worked. 

Ian, how can I do this chain of actions in the 1 min turn? I mean, I still dunno how to do "move vehicle -> disembark boys -> move the vehicle and boys " in the 1 min turn based order. 'Pause' didn't worked. 

No you cannot do vehicle moves -> disembark passengers -> vehicle moves more.  That is not possible with the current commands.

I was just pointing out that you can choose to disembark passengers -> vehicles moves in addition to the more common vehicle moves -> disembark passengers.  It is not a full solution but another option.  I find I use it from time to time.  For example if a vehicle is close to the last move location and about to disembark passengers as one turn ends.  I will cancel all the movement orders and issue the dismount passenger command to the passengers and then give move orders to both vehicle and passengers so the vehicle does not sit around for most of the turn.

No you cannot do vehicle moves -> disembark passengers -> vehicle moves more.  That is not possible with the current commands.

I was just pointing out that you can choose to disembark passengers -> vehicles moves in addition to the more common vehicle moves -> disembark passengers.  It is not a full solution but another option.  I find I use it from time to time.  For example if a vehicle is close to the last move location and about to disembark passengers as one turn ends.  I will cancel all the movement orders and issue the dismount passenger command to the passengers and then give move orders to both vehicle and passengers so the vehicle does not sit around for most of the turn.

Thanks to let me know. 

The option you explained is the same thing what I use now in 1-min turn to disembark. But it is somehow limited to do in critical or subtle situations, and I feel real-time is more helpful for some complicated chains of actions. I really wish the BFC introduce some way to "move vehicle -> disembark boys -> move vehicle" possible in a single turn. (Or I just didn't find the way to do, though it is already there)