Question: what weapon systems use a laser range finder?

Paulus

Hi, in further addition, is there a way to override the reverse command used? To create sort of a running charge? Maintaining a fighting formation was kinda difficult in the demo-mission. My platoon of tank of tanks lost cohesion within 100 mtrs, normal movement speed, no obstructions, gently rolling terrain, getting lazed from pre-scouted known AT positions. 

Hi, does some one knows this? What systems cause the  "pop smoke - and reverse command" by tanks? Thanks!

If the tank gets hit with a laser rangefinder or incoming rounds it may pop smoke and reverse.  I think keeping the tanks in formation or keeping them following whatever orders you give them has a lot to do with the soft factors of the crew.  As an example, if the crew is fanatical motivation it is more likely to say damn the incoming rounds and stay in formation.  If the crew has poor motivation they are more likely to panic and not follow your orders. If the crew has elite experience and High motivation and they get lased they will probably pop smoke and reverse because they have the experience to know what is about to happen next.  The game tries to simulate the actions of a real crew.  Like real soldiers they will follow your orders to a certain point.  After a certain point self preservation kicks in which is influenced by the four different soft factors.  

When I first started to play CM I often cursed at the computer monitor when my tanks popped smoke and reversed.  Now when they blow up I am annoyed that they did not pop smoke and reverse.  (Like what, I have to do all their thinking for them?)   :D    

Have fun.  Hope you enjoy the game.     

Paulus,

Tanks, some IFVs (Bradley, BMP-3, for example) and certain ATGs, such as Sprut-B. Technically, a bunch of ATGMs fired from shoulder, tripod and vehicles don't have LRFs per se, but their LBR signal does get read, rightly so, as a threat and also triggers deployment of obscurants. The same hold true of laser designators, which can also be on anything from an infantryman to an attack helo or CAS bird.

Regards,

John Kettler