Disembarking Passengersq

So I'm playing with a friend new to the game and he was quite perturbed that one appears unable to order passengers to dismount more creativeky with the use of the pause command. I did some experimenting and found that any move order of the vehicle, even if paused, will prevent the infantry from disembarking.

Is there some way to have a vehicle:

move

Stop

Infantry disembark

Vehice moves on to next waypoint

?

Edited by Bud_B

Nope.  That's pretty much the one thing you can't do = have the vehicle keep moving after dropping people off (in the same minute of turn-based).

So the challenge is to disembark passengers from a moving vehicle as close to the end of a turn as possible so your transport isn't stationary in a dicey spot (if it's dicey) for an appreciable length of time.

Not quite the whole picture. It is true you cannot have the vehicle move and drop off passengers and then move again. There is another choice though. You can have the passengers disembark and then the vehicle move.

If you have a vehicle with no movement orders you can select the passengers and give them a dismount command and then movement orders. You can then give the vehicle movement orders too. The vehicle will then wait for the passengers to disembark and then it will move.

Not quite the whole picture. It is true you cannot have the vehicle move and drop off passengers and then move again. There is another choice though. You can have the passengers disembark and then the vehicle move.

If you have a vehicle with no movement orders you can select the passengers and give them a dismount command and then movement orders. You can then give the vehicle movement orders too. The vehicle will then wait for the passengers to disembark and then it will move.

True you can do that, but I don't know how useful that would be in play. The vehicle would already have to have moved to the drop off point in a previous turn and possibly sit there until the end of that turn; meanwhile the passengers remain with the vehicle when instead they might be moving on.

Michael

True you can do that, but I don't know how useful that would be in play.

I use it in two instances. 1) when the vehicle almost reached its destination the turn before. I would rather cancel all the movement orders and dismount the passengers and let them finish their move on foot which allows the vehicle to get on the go right away. 2) if a vehicle with passengers comes under threat unexpectedly. I would rather get the passengers out and to cover if it suddenly becomes unsafe to be in the vehicle then you can have chance to get the vehicle out of harms way.

So, not the most common need but good to have fun option occasionally.

Edited by IanL

That's great Ian, that's very useful indeed. I've passed that on to my friend. :)

BTW, you don't need to give passengers a Dismount command. If the vehicle is at rest, a simple movement order to the passengers will cause them to automatically dismount. Vehicle crew do need to be dismounted before you can give them a movement order though.

Michael

I'll have to try again, because I thought I gave move orders in the past and if the vehicle had a move order, the men would not leave, they would wait fir the vehicle to start, and finish its move. Edited by Bud_B

I'll have to try again, because I thought I gave move orders in the past and if the vehicle had a move order, the men would not leave, they would wait fir the vehicle to start, and finish its move.

That's true. Passengers will not disembark until the vehicle completes whatever movement it has been ordered to perform. If you want them to disembark where the vehicle is presently located, you must make sure that it has no movement orders.

Michael

Oh okay, I see what you are getting at...I think. Are you saying that if you give the passengers a Dismount order, you can then give the vehicle a move order in the same turn without having to wait until the next turn? I admit I haven't tried that.

Michael

Oh okay, I see what you are getting at...I think. Are you saying that if you give the passengers a Dismount order, you can then give the vehicle a move order in the same turn without having to wait until the next turn? I admit I haven't tried that.

Michael

That's what IanL suggested, and when I tried it, it worked. :) Edited by Bud_B

I just encountered something that was new to me and I wondered if any of you thought it was common.

I wanted to move a truck up to some soldiers, then pause for 20 seconds while they boarded and then move off. What happened though was that the soldiers immediately began moving toward the truck's last waypoint without making any attempt to board while the truck was paused. I guess this is just the refusal to disembark but in reverse, however I had never come across it before. In fact, I somehow thought I remembered troops boarding a paused vehicle before, but maybe I just imagined it.

Michael